Why Change in Entropy for Silver, N2 & Water Similar?

In summary, the conversation discusses the change in entropy for 1 mol of N2, silver, water, and mercury. The values for the change in entropy (delta S) are S=72.8060J/K, 102.1817J/K, 86.6032J/K, and 108.8686J/K respectively. Although they may not appear close together, they all agree with the book's answer. The speaker is curious as to why these values are relatively close for three different substances.
Corneo
Can someone explain to me why the change in entropy for 1 mol of N2, silver, and water are all relatively close together? The values of the change in S I respectively are S=72.8060J/K, 102.1817J/K, 86.6032J/K, 108.8686J/K.

Yea to me they don't even look close together but they agree with the book's answer (assuming the book is correct).

Physics news on Phys.org
N2, silver and H2O are the three substances but you have four values for S

Opps I forgot to mention Mercury is in there also. But that's not too important. I would like to know why their delta S are all "close"

FAQ: Why Change in Entropy for Silver, N2 & Water Similar?

1. Why does the change in entropy for silver, N2, and water seem similar?

The change in entropy for these substances is similar because they all have similar molecular structures and properties. Silver, N2, and water all have relatively simple and symmetric molecular structures, which allows for similar levels of disorder and randomness in their molecular arrangements.

2. What factors affect the change in entropy for silver, N2, and water?

The change in entropy for these substances is affected by factors such as temperature, pressure, and phase changes. Higher temperatures and pressures generally lead to higher entropy, while phase changes (such as melting or vaporization) can also affect the entropy of a substance.

3. How does the change in entropy for silver, N2, and water impact their physical properties?

The change in entropy for these substances can impact their physical properties in various ways. For example, higher entropy can lead to increased disorder and randomness in the molecular arrangement, which can affect properties such as melting and boiling points, heat capacity, and solubility.

4. Are there any differences in the change in entropy for silver, N2, and water?

While these substances may have similar changes in entropy, there can also be differences due to variations in their molecular structures and properties. For example, silver has a more ordered molecular structure compared to N2 and water, which can affect the change in entropy.

5. Can the change in entropy for silver, N2, and water be predicted?

The change in entropy for these substances can be predicted to a certain extent using thermodynamic equations and principles. However, the exact change in entropy may also depend on various factors such as temperature, pressure, and molecular interactions, which may be difficult to accurately predict in all cases.