Why Did I Get Slapped with a Mackerel?

• Thread starter ground_effect
  • Start date
Welcome!In summary, a new forumer named ground_effect introduces themselves as a 3rd year undergrad student studying Mathematics and Physics. They explain that their username comes from a love of F1 and express enjoyment for making up words. Other forum members welcome them and ask about their favorite fish. After some playful banter and a fish slap initiation, ground_effect decides to stick around.
ground_effect
Hello everyone,
I did have a quick look for the "introductions" thread, but either I'm not looking hard enough or I'd rather have one to myself - hard to tell.

Anyway, I'm a 3rd year undergrad student studying Mathematics and Physics (prolly more a physics dude but when in Rome...) with varying nerdy interests of different kinds. "ground_effect" for e.g. comes from a love of F1, and not because I've done any fluids stuff or actual aerodynamics. Plus it's a cool name - shame on your community for not using it earlier!

I guess I'm really posting so as to give an alternate first impression to: "poor guy isn't very good at QM is he?", which is the one you'd get from reading my next couple of posts.

Anyway, thanks for reading if you did, and have a nice day.

Physics news on Phys.org
is forumer a word? It's getting a red line...

Hmm, 'Forumite' seems to be the more commonplace word, but it gets one as well. Ah well, I like making up words, makes me feel like a fantasy author.

Huh, I get that same exact feeling when I write lab reports...

Forumion?

Sorry...

Welcome to PF, g.e.! I hope you enjoy it here :smile:.

Welcome to the forum ground_effect. You will find a lot of very nice and helpful people here.

We need to know what your favorite fish is.

Disconnected said:
is forumer a word?

ground_effect said:
Hmm, 'Forumite' seems to be the more commonplace word

Disconnected said:
Forumion?

I like "forumanian."

No welcome for me? :/

Disconnected said:

Awww, sorry to make you feel...disconnected...:smile:. Welcome to PF!

It doesn't count if I have to ASK for it... I want you to want to welcome me!

Disconnected said:

Like Evo said, we need to know what your favorite fish is. Then we can welcome you properly.

[Added: oops, you're not the person who started this thread, who Evo was talking to. That's what you get for horning in on someone else's thread.]

jtbell said:
Like Evo said, we need to know what your favorite fish is. Then we can welcome you properly.

[Added: oops, you're not the person who started this thread, who Evo was talking to. That's what you get for horning in on someone else's thread.]

Well, just in case: Mackerel. Yeeaahhhhh, mackerel is tiiiggghhhht.

*fishslaps Disconnected*

Last edited:
Holey mackerel! :bugeye:

Holey_Mackerel.png

Yay.

ground_effect said:
Plus it's a cool name - shame on your community for not using it earlier!
My name is cooler.
ground_effect said:
Hmm, 'Forumite' seems to be the more commonplace word
I'd use forumer instead of forumite, forumion, or forumanian because we commonly use PFer.

A New forumer approaches...

What would you like to do?

1. Attack
2. Magic
3. Items
4. Ignore

You have selected attack!

Drakkith said:
What would you like to do?

1. Attack
2. Magic
3. Items
4. Ignore

You have selected attack!
We always select 1.
Using fishes.

FtlIsAwesome said:
We always select 1.
Using fishes.

Critical Hit!
14 points of damage!
New Forumer is afflicted by "Fishy Smell".
New Forumer flees in disgust!

Favorite fish as far as what?

Salmon have made me the most money

Fresh halibut tastes the best

Cuttle fish are the cutest. Ok, maybe theyre not fish...

Welcome.

Disconnected said:
Huh, I get that same exact feeling when I write lab reports...

rofl !
and welcome, from one relative newcomer to both of you ;)

just don't fish off like the dolphins did

Evo said:
We need to know what your favorite fish is.

Dare I ask?

No, i don't

Make it an Atlantic Salmon if you can't find a Magikarp...

Edit: I didn't post up my homework problem because when I was transcribing it I realized that I'd been misreading it (I know, I know, first time for everything). Fear not, i'll stick around anyway - ty for all the welcomes.

Last edited by a moderator:
ground_effect said:
Dare I ask?

No, i don't

Edit: I didn't post up my homework problem because when I was transcribing it I realized that I'd been misreading it (I know, I know, first time for everything). Fear not, i'll stick around anyway - ty for all the welcomes.

Mmmm...salmon...always a good choice!

FtlIsAwesome said:
*fishslaps Disconnected*

Well, I can honestly say that is the first time that has ever happened to me. An interesting feeling to be sure.

So, uh, what are the ethics on retaliation around here? I don't want to get suspended on my first trip to the playground...

Disconnected said:
Well, I can honestly say that is the first time that has ever happened to me. An interesting feeling to be sure.
The first time for me was in chat (usually chat is open every Sunday, sometimes Saturday). If you come in chat for around 100 (1000?) times or so, they slap you with a whale.

Disconnected said:
So, uh, what are the ethics on retaliation around here? I don't want to get suspended on my first trip to the playground...
I have no idea, I never tried retaliating. I just wait for new people to come along so I can see what it's like to be the fishslapper.
But it probably wouldn't get you suspended, just a couple tons of fish back at you...
ground_effect said:
Fear not, i'll stick around anyway
Are you a piece of gum? It sticks to stuff.

Yeah, that was lame. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
ground_effect said:
Dare I ask?

No, i don't

Ah, good choice!

{{{THWACK}}}

You have now been officially initiated.

Evo said:
Ah, good choice!

{{{THWACK}}}

You have now been officially initiated.
Wow. :bugeye:

I was never slapped that hard.

That must hurt.

The first time for me was in chat (usually chat is open every Sunday, sometimes Saturday). If you come in chat for around 100 (1000?) times or so, they slap you with a whale.

Hrmm...this sounds a bit fishy...

I wonder if "Crushed by a whale" is covered by my life insurance?

ground_effect said:
Make it an Atlantic Salmon

Evo said:
Ah, good choice!

{{{THWACK}}}

Oooh, I hope your health insurance is up to date! :rolleyes:

http://www.offthehookfishing.com/images/670_DSC00499.JPG

ground_effect said:
Dare I ask?

No, i don't

*gasp* You came back! I thought you were gone for good...! Nice that you're going to stick around :smile:.

Drakkith said:
I wonder if "Crushed by a whale" is covered by my life insurance?
Of course not. That'll take all the fun out of it.
jtbell said:
Oooh, I hope your health insurance is up to date! :rolleyes:

http://www.offthehookfishing.com/images/670_DSC00499.JPG
:smile:

FtlIsAwesome said:
Wow. :bugeye:

I was never slapped that hard.

That must hurt.

Yeah, I feel like I got off lightly. Glad it was you that slapped me and not Evo...

So, I guess... Thanks for slapping me with that mackerel, broham.

Related to Why Did I Get Slapped with a Mackerel?

1. Why did I get slapped with a mackerel?

There could be a variety of reasons why you were slapped with a mackerel. It could be a prank, a form of punishment, or a result of a misunderstanding. It is best to communicate with the person who slapped you to find out the reason.

2. Is it normal to get slapped with a mackerel?

No, it is not a common occurrence to get slapped with a mackerel. It is not a socially acceptable form of physical contact and should not be tolerated.

3. Can getting slapped with a mackerel cause any harm?

In most cases, getting slapped with a mackerel will not cause any serious harm. However, if the mackerel is rotten or has sharp scales, it could potentially cause injuries. It is important to seek medical attention if you experience any pain or discomfort after being slapped with a mackerel.

4. Why would someone choose to slap me with a mackerel?

As mentioned earlier, it could be a prank or a form of punishment. Some people may also do it as a way to express their anger or frustration towards you. It is important to address the issue and communicate with the person to prevent any further incidents.

5. How should I react if I get slapped with a mackerel?

It is understandable to feel shocked and upset if someone slaps you with a mackerel. However, it is important to remain calm and avoid any physical or verbal retaliation. Walk away from the situation and seek help from a trusted individual or authority figure if necessary.