Why Did I Get the Physics Problem on Work and Energy Wrong?

• Thread starter muna580
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Work
In summary, the conversation discusses questions related to work and energy, specifically focusing on problem number 8. The individual attempted to solve the problem using the concept N = mv^2/R, but got the answer wrong. They question why their approach was incorrect and how to find the velocity of the ball in the problem. The expert explains that N does not equal mg and that calculating the change in gravitational potential energy will help find the velocity. The expert also mentions the conservation of total energy in this situation.
muna580
I need hlep with some questions related to work, and energy.

http://img246.imageshack.us/img246/8616/untitled1xn8.jpg

I tried doing #8 and I got the answer [tex]\sqrt{9.8}[/tex] but I got the answer wrong.

http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/8269/untitled1df2.jpg

I used this concept to solve number 8, but why did I get it wrong?

N = mv^2/R

mg = N

mg = mv^2/RBut why did I get teh answer wrong? Did I do it wrong?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
muna580 said:
I need hlep with some questions related to work, and energy.

I tried doing #8 and I got the answer [tex]\sqrt{9.8}[/tex] but I got the answer wrong.

I used this concept to solve number 8, but why did I get it wrong?

N = mv^2/R

mg = N

mg = mv^2/R

But why did I get teh answer wrong? Did I do it wrong?
Because N does not equal mg, and because this is not the correct approach to the problem. First, if N did equal mg, the ball souild be going in a straight line, not on the arc of a circle. What is in fact true in this case is that N is greater than mg

N - mg = mv^2/R

But that will not help you find v. To find v you need to know the energy of the ball. If you say it has zero potential energy at the bottom, the energy there is all kinetic. At the top, the energy is all potential. Energy conservation will lead you to the velocity.

Last edited:
So how do I calculate teh Kenetic enegery at that point?

muna580 said:
So how do I calculate teh Kenetic enegery at that point?
Calculate the change in gravitational potential energy between the high point and the low point of the motion. The loss of potential energy equals the increase in kinetic energy. Total energy is conserved.

Related to Why Did I Get the Physics Problem on Work and Energy Wrong?

1. What is the difference between work and energy?

Work is defined as the force applied to an object multiplied by the distance the object moves in the direction of the force. Energy, on the other hand, is the ability of an object to do work. In simpler terms, work is the transfer of energy from one object to another.

2. What are the different types of energy?

There are many different types of energy, but the main categories include kinetic energy (energy of motion), potential energy (stored energy), thermal energy (energy from heat), chemical energy (energy from chemical reactions), and electrical energy (energy from electricity).

3. How is work related to energy?

Work and energy are closely related, as work is the transfer of energy from one object to another. When work is done on an object, the object gains energy. Similarly, when work is done by an object, it loses energy.

4. How is work calculated?

Work is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance the object moves in the direction of the force. The formula for work is W = F x d, where W is work, F is force, and d is distance.

5. What is the principle of conservation of energy?

The principle of conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, it can only be transformed from one form to another. In other words, the total amount of energy in a closed system remains constant. This principle is important in understanding how energy is transferred and used in different systems.

Back