Why Did My Teacher Deduct Points for My Sentence?

• Thread starter Willis666
  • Start date
In summary: Same with language. The Brits had it first but got it wrong, and we Americans have corrected tons of their...mistakes.
Willis666
Today I had a vocabulary test at school. One of the words on the test was recluse, and I had to use it in a sentence. I wrote the following:

Osama was believed to live in recluse.

The teacher put a -1 mark next to the sentence. Usually the teacher will write next to the sentence why it was wrong, but she just wrote -1. Why would she take points off? I didn't have time to bring it up with her today. I also had been drawing in the margins and such on the test, since I finished early, so I was thinking she may have been mad about that and took it out on Osama. My other thought was that she didn't know what Osama was. I really want this one right, since I got an 89%, and with that 1 point, I would have gotten a 92%, which looks a lot better.

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you looked up the usage of the word? You understand the meaning the root word, but you have used the word incorrectly.

Plugging "definition of recluse" into Google gives me this:

"Noun: A person who lives a solitary life and tends to avoid other people."

I don't think you intended to write something that means "Osama was believed to live in a person who lives a solitary life and tends to avoid other people."

A related noun that would fit your sentence better is "reclusion" ("the state of living apart from society, like a hermit").

"Osama was believed to live in reclusion."

In other words, a person can be a recluse, but they cannot live in recluse.

Substitute the word "hermit" for recluse. "Osama was believed to live in hermit." See how that doesn't work?

I thought sentence was spelt exactly that way, not sentance?

StevieTNZ said:
I thought sentence was spelt exactly that way, not sentance?
It is *spelled* sentence. And spelt is an ancient form of wheat. Brit! or NZ person (even worse) :biggrin: You probably have *tyres* on your car.

Evo said:
It is *spelled* sentence.
Ah yes! Of course!

Evo said:
or NZ person (even worse) :biggrin:
Clearly

Evo said:
You probably have *tyres* on your car.
My dad has tyres on his car. I never want to drive.

Recluse should be capitalized.

Jimmy Snyder said:
Recluse should be capitalized.

Ah...Recluse, New Jersey. I've never been.

Osama lived in reclusion but it was a delusion..

Last edited:
lisab said:
Ah...Recluse, New Jersey. I've never been.
Wyoming actually. When I was 17 I was born there and haven't been seen since. Not that I'm much to look at. Anyway, when the population hit 13, the contradiction got to be too much for me and I moved to Wisconsin where I live as a recluse on Hermit Island.

Here I thought Recluse only existed in fantasy fiction. Do they export much black iron from Wyoming?

Forget Recluse, Wyoming. I've always wanted to visit Intercourse, Pennsylvania. :-p

Pennsylvania's the Quaker State, so it's pretty disappointing.

russ_watters said:
Pennsylvania's the Quaker State, so it's pretty disappointing.
Perhaps Lititz would be more to your liking.

Curious3141 said:
Forget Recluse, Wyoming. I've always wanted to visit Intercourse, Pennsylvania. :-p

You better go there via Truth Or Consequences.

You're all going to Hell, Michigan.

I actually went to Hell, Cayman Islands over Christmas.

Saladsamurai said:
You're all going to Hell, Michigan.

Been there already:

http://www.aabts.org/ohr/

About thirty years ago I rode a train through Hell, Norway:

hell.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
None of you ever been in "****ing", Austria?

jtbell said:
Been there already:

http://www.aabts.org/ohr/

About thirty years ago I rode a train through Hell, Norway:

hell.JPG
I suppose a snowball has a pretty good chance there.

Also, click to see my vaykay pix to Cozumel.
pic005.jpg

Evo said:
It is *spelled* sentence. And spelt is an ancient form of wheat. Brit! or NZ person (even worse) :biggrin: You probably have *tyres* on your car.

Who was using English before America was even discovered.

OH YES, the English!

So who do you think has to right to judge the others spelling?

rollcast said:

OH YES, the English!

Americans do, we fixed their mistakes. :approve:

Evo said:
Americans do, we fixed their mistakes. :approve:

This English vs. Americanised (note the use of an s and not a z) English could end up like this comedy sketch.

rollcast said:
This English vs. Americanised (note the use of an s and not a z) English could end you like this comedy sketch.

That was funny. :biggrin:

Wow, that's a lot of replies. Thanks for the answers!

rollcast said:

OH YES, the English!

Newton "discovered" gravity before Einstein, but had it wrong. Would you have Newtonians judge Einstein's physics?

Same with language. The Brits had it first but got it wrong, and we Americans have corrected tons of their mistakes.

Related to Why Did My Teacher Deduct Points for My Sentence?

1. What are some common errors in a sentence?

Some common errors in a sentence include grammatical mistakes, incorrect word usage, spelling errors, and punctuation errors.

2. How can I identify mistakes in a sentence?

To identify mistakes in a sentence, you can read it out loud, use grammar and spell check tools, and have someone else proofread it for you.

3. Why is it important to have correct sentences?

Having correct sentences is important because it ensures clear communication and helps to convey your ideas and thoughts accurately. It also reflects your level of education and professionalism.

4. What are some strategies for improving sentence structure?

Some strategies for improving sentence structure include varying sentence length, using active voice, avoiding run-on sentences, and using transitions to connect ideas.

5. How can I improve my sentence writing skills?

To improve your sentence writing skills, you can practice regularly, read widely to expand your vocabulary, and seek feedback from others. You can also take online courses or workshops to learn more about grammar and sentence structure.

Back