Why Did the Wave Interference Proof Simplify This Way?

In summary, the student is having trouble understanding a proof in a physics course. They are trying to solve a problem and are having trouble with an algebraic step. They are unsure if they are doing it correctly and wonder if there is a more simplified step they are missing.
QuarkCharmer

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

[tex]y_{3} = y_{1}+y_{2}[/tex]
[tex]f(x,t) = y_{m}sin(kx-ωt+\phi)[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

So, I'm going back over a proof done in my physics course, where the sum of two waves equals the resulting wave. The proof was on constructive and destructive interference. I'm having trouble figuring out what was done on a certain step. My notes are verbatim from the lecture.

If some wave Y2 differs from Y1 only by a phase shift,
[tex]y_{1} = Y_{m}sin(kx-ωt)[/tex]
[tex]y_{2} = Y_{m}sin(kx-ωt+\phi)[/tex]

The resultant wave Y3 is said to be the sum of Y1 and Y2. Now, in this proof the professor applied a trigonometric identity to convert the resultant wave into one that showed it's oscillatory and amplitory components. It reads:

[tex]Y_{3} = Y_{m}sin(kx-ωt) + Y_{m}sin(kx-ωt+\phi)[/tex]
[tex]Y_{3} = Y_{m}(sin(kx-ωt) + Y_{m}sin(kx-ωt+\phi))[/tex]

Now using the identity:
[tex]sin(A) + sin(B) = 2sin(\frac{A+B}{2})cos(\frac{A-B}{2})[/tex]

[tex]Y_{3} = Y_{m}2sin(\frac{kx+ωt+kx-ωt+\phi}{2})cos(\frac{kx+ωt-kx+ωt-\phi}{2})[/tex]

Which then simplifies down to:
[tex]Y_{3} = 2Y_{m}sin(\frac{2kx+\phi}{2})cos(\frac{2ωt-\phi}{2})[/tex]

The point was to show that two waves traveling along the same medium differing by a phase difference produce some resulting wave, but I have no idea how he simplified the equation down. Since both waves are traveling in the same direction, the phase of both of them should be (kx-ωt+phi), which shows the wave moving in the positive x-direction (It just so happens that the first wave Y1 has a phi of 0 for this example). But, in the step he simplified down to, the algebra just doesn't work out for me. It looks as though he chose one of the waves to be moving in the positive x-dir and the other in the negative x-dir. If that's the case then sure, it simplifies down. Is there some magic algebra step that I am missing here? Why did he reverse the direction of one of the waves so that the (A+B) from when the trig identity is applied allowed for it all to cancel out nicely?

Thanks,
QC

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks like he mysteriously changed the direction of one of the waves.

Perhaps he had moved on to the subject of standing waves and you didn't catch that.

Well, we were working on standing waves, so I guess Y2 could be the wave reflecting back, but in this example he CLEARLY defined the waves as traveling in the same direction, citing an example in communication, wave jamming and so on. I have the whole thing on livescribe.

So, if I did the same derivation, allowing both waves to travel in the same positive x-direction. I should still get the same result right? Something of the form:
[tex]Acos()sin()[/tex]
Where the sine represents the oscillation, and the cos modifies the amplitude correct?

Yes, you'll get a similar but qualitatively different result.

Thanks vela,

I'll look into both results in more depth and I guess ask him what the heck was going on in that proof. I just didn't want to go in there and be like "Hey is this a mistake or what", and it turn out that it was simply my misunderstanding of the subject.

Related to Why Did the Wave Interference Proof Simplify This Way?

1. What is wave interference?

Wave interference is a phenomenon in which two or more waves combine and interact with each other. This results in the formation of a new wave pattern, which can either amplify or cancel out the original waves depending on their amplitudes and phases.

2. What is constructive interference?

Constructive interference occurs when two waves meet and their amplitudes are in phase, meaning their peaks and troughs align. This results in a wave with a larger amplitude than the original waves. This is commonly seen in sound waves, where two speakers playing the same frequency produce a louder sound when placed close together.

3. What is destructive interference?

Destructive interference occurs when two waves meet and their amplitudes are out of phase, meaning their peaks and troughs do not align. This results in a wave with a smaller amplitude than the original waves or even complete cancellation. This is commonly seen in noise-canceling headphones, which use destructive interference to block out unwanted sound waves.

4. How does the distance between two interfering waves affect interference?

The distance between two interfering waves affects interference by changing the phase difference between the waves. When the waves are in phase, they will experience constructive interference, but if the distance is changed, the waves may become out of phase and experience destructive interference. This distance is often referred to as the path difference.

5. Can wave interference occur with other types of waves besides sound waves?

Yes, wave interference can occur with all types of waves, including electromagnetic waves such as light and radio waves. This is how we see colors in soap bubbles and rainbows, as different wavelengths of light interfere with each other to create different colors. Interference also plays a crucial role in many technologies such as antennas and lasers.