Why did we stop at 46.5 billion light years?

In summary, the conversation is about the limitations of looking into the past of the universe and trying to see back to the very beginning. The main limiting factor is that the universe was opaque to electromagnetic radiation before the surface of last scattering, which is approximately 400,000 years after the big bang. This is similar to trying to look into the center of the sun. However, there is hope for detecting neutrinos that were emitted earlier. Additionally, the early universe would have been filled with light, but it did not travel very far until the universe cooled enough to become transparent. This area of study is known as the "photon epoch."
thecow99
It's been bugging me. We've looked 13.5 billion years into the past, supposedly only about 500 million years short of the big bang, at objects 46.5 billion light years away. What were the limiting factors? What stops us so close from the finish line from peeking into the very beginning?

If it's limitations on the Hubble, couldn't we build another telescope with just a smidge more accuracy to get that glimpse? I mean.. it can't be because there was no light, I'd assume with all the heat generated at some point pre 13.5 billion light years there must have been a lot of photons being thrown about.

Thanks!

------

Edit - This is what I found on Wiki, so shouldn't we be able to "theoretically" look back to +10 seconds given the best circumstances?

Photon epoch
Between 10 seconds and 380,000 years after the Big Bang
Main article: Photon epoch
After most leptons and anti-leptons are annihilated at the end of the lepton epoch the energy of the universe is dominated by photons. These photons are still interacting frequently with charged protons, electrons and (eventually) nuclei, and continue to do so for the next 380,000 years.

Last edited:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
You have severely misunderstood modern cosmology.

You sort of answered your own question. After most leptons and anti-leptons are annihilated at the end of the lepton epoch the energy of the universe is dominated by photons. These photons are still interacting frequently with charged protons, electrons and (eventually) nuclei, and continue to do so for the next 380,000 years.

Those photons were interacting with charged protons, electrons and (eventually) nuclei until 380,000 years after the big bang. So we can't see back before that.

Photons from that time period (380,000 +) can be detected as microwaves now. Galaxies were not fully formed at this point clearly, so galaxy formation began closer to 500 million years after the big bang.

So instead of looking at that 10 second time period you mention our best alternative is to try and recreate the conditions present at that time period.

Chronos said:
You have severely misunderstood modern cosmology.

Thanks for stating the obvious.

TheTechNoir said:
You sort of answered your own question. After most leptons and anti-leptons are annihilated at the end of the lepton epoch the energy of the universe is dominated by photons. These photons are still interacting frequently with charged protons, electrons and (eventually) nuclei, and continue to do so for the next 380,000 years.

Those photons were interacting with charged protons, electrons and (eventually) nuclei until 380,000 years after the big bang. So we can't see back before that.

Photons from that time period (380,000 +) can be detected as microwaves now. Galaxies were not fully formed at this point clearly, so galaxy formation began closer to 500 million years after the big bang.

I've not learned much about particle interaction, but I'm gleaning that this pre 380,000 year interaction made the photons of the time undetectable. What would this area of study be called so I can look into it? A google search for "Photon interaction with charged particles" produces a myriad of results.

Thanks!

Last edited:
thecow99 said:
It's been bugging me. We've looked 13.5 billion years into the past, supposedly only about 500 million years short of the big bang, at objects 46.5 billion light years away. What were the limiting factors? What stops us so close from the finish line from peeking into the very beginning?

The simple answer to your question is that we can see back to what's called the "surface of last scattering", which is ~400,000 years after the big bang. Before this, the universe was opaque to EM radiation, so we can't see any further back. It's something like trying to look into the center of the sun. There is some hope of "seeing" further back by detecting neutrinos that were emitted earlier.

thecow99 said:
I've not learned much about particle interaction, but I'm gleaning that this pre 380,000 year interaction made the photons of the time undetectable. What would this area of study be called so I can look into it? A google search for "Photon interaction with charged particles" produces a myriad of results.

Thanks!

You might find "The First Three Minutes" by Weinberg informative

we have seen as far in the past as we could with CoBE(actually we had done it before CoBE)
it has detected highly red shifted light as microwave radiation there was no light in the universe before that

hav0c said:
it has detected highly red shifted light as microwave radiation there was no light in the universe before that
There was lots of light in the universe "before that".

Imagine what things would look like inside our Sun. Even though the interior of the Sun is optically opaque, there would be light coming from everywhere. The interior is opaque because a photon inside the Sun doesn't go all that far before being absorbed thermally. Photons inside the Sun are constantly being created and absorbed by thermal processes. It takes a long time for the energy created at the center of the Sun to make its way to the Sun's surface, where it is finally emitted into empty space.

That light coming from everywhere is what our early universe would have looked like. There was lots of light in the early universe; there was light all around. It just didn't go very far. What we see as the CMBR is the radiation that was finally freed to traverse the universe once the universe had finally cooled enough so as to become transparent.

D H said:
That light coming from everywhere is what our early universe would have looked like. There was lots of light in the early universe; there was light all around. It just didn't go very far. What we see as the CMBR is the radiation that was finally freed to traverse the universe once the universe had finally cooled enough so as to become transparent.

that was what i meant essentially :D

Related to Why did we stop at 46.5 billion light years?

1. Why is 46.5 billion light years considered the observable universe?

The observable universe is the portion of the universe that we can see, detect, and study. It is limited by the distance that light has traveled since the beginning of the universe, known as the age of the universe. Currently, the age of the universe is estimated to be around 13.8 billion years. Since light travels at a finite speed, the farthest distance that light could have traveled in 13.8 billion years is approximately 46.5 billion light years. This is why 46.5 billion light years is considered the observable universe.

2. How do we know the universe is 46.5 billion light years in size?

The size of the observable universe can be calculated using the speed of light and the age of the universe. The speed of light is a constant and the age of the universe is estimated by measuring the cosmic microwave background radiation. By multiplying the speed of light by the age of the universe, we get the distance that light has traveled since the beginning of the universe, which is approximately 46.5 billion light years.

3. Can we see beyond 46.5 billion light years?

No, we cannot see beyond 46.5 billion light years. This is because the light from objects that are further than 46.5 billion light years away has not had enough time to reach us. The expansion of the universe also plays a role in limiting our ability to see beyond this distance. As the universe expands, the light from distant objects becomes stretched and more difficult to detect.

4. Has the size of the observable universe always been 46.5 billion light years?

No, the size of the observable universe has not always been 46.5 billion light years. In fact, it is constantly changing. As the universe continues to expand, the distance that light can travel before reaching us also increases. This means that the size of the observable universe will also increase over time.

5. What lies beyond the observable universe?

The answer to this question is unknown. Some theories suggest that there could be more universes beyond our observable universe, while others propose that the universe is infinite. Since we cannot see beyond 46.5 billion light years, we cannot currently confirm or refute these theories. This is an area of ongoing research and exploration in the field of astrophysics.