Why Didn't They Use the H-H Equation in the End?

• Thread starter Hidemons
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Buffers
In summary: I got pH and pK on the wrong side and mixed + and - log and (equivalently) got the fraction upside down etc.
Hidemons
Here's a solved chemistry problem:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100731143735AAjKe10

Why did the answerer not use the H-H equation at the very end?
Please Help.

The H-H equation and the Ka= (H)(A)/(HA) equation (what was used in the problem) both use the same inputs and both are used to find pH. How do I pick one over the other?

(the template provided)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hidemons said:
Here's a solved chemistry problem:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100731143735AAjKe10

Why did the answerer not use the H-H equation at the very end?
Please Help.The H-H equation and the Ka= (H)(A)/(HA) equation (what was used in the problem) both use the same inputs and both are used to find pH. How do I pick one over the other?
(the template provided)
First he found [H+] then he took logs and found pH.

Ka= (H)(A)/(HA) is equivalent practically to the HH equation.

How to pick one over the other? Use Ka= (H)(A)/(HA) because, at the stage you're at you are going to understand clearly what you're doing better than if you just apply a (forgettable) formula; this will be needed for more difficult problems you might get next.

epenguin said:
Ka= (H)(A)/(HA) is equivalent practically to the HH equation.

Practically or completely? I worked out the linked problem using H-H and it gives you a different answer. very frustrating

Practically - you have to switch things about maybe.

the HH eq. is usually given in a form like

well see here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henderson–Hasselbalch_equation

I don't know what you've done but someone like you :-p easily gets pH and pK on the wrong side and mixes + and - log and (equivalently) gets the fraction upside down etc. That's why I recommend not using it, but sticking with something you understand easier.

Hidemons said:
Practically or completely? I worked out the linked problem using H-H and it gives you a different answer. very frustrating

Show what you did, answers should be identical. If they are different you are probably doing something wrong.

Henderson-Hasselbalch equation is just another form of Ka (see derivation on the page).

Related to Why Didn't They Use the H-H Equation in the End?

1. What is a buffer?

A buffer is a solution that helps maintain a stable pH level by resisting changes in acidity or alkalinity. It is made up of a weak acid and its conjugate base or a weak base and its conjugate acid.

2. How do buffers work?

Buffers work by reacting with added acid or base to minimize changes in pH. When an acid is added, the buffer will neutralize it by accepting the excess H+ ions. When a base is added, the buffer will neutralize it by donating H+ ions.

3. What is the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation?

The Henderson-Hasselbalch equation is a mathematical expression that relates the pH, pKa, and the concentrations of a weak acid and its conjugate base in a buffer solution. It is written as pH = pKa + log([A-]/[HA]), where [A-] is the concentration of the conjugate base and [HA] is the concentration of the weak acid.

4. How do you calculate the pH of a buffer solution using the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation?

To calculate the pH of a buffer solution, you need to know the pKa of the weak acid, the concentrations of the weak acid and its conjugate base, and the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation. Simply plug in the values and solve for pH.

5. What is the optimal pH range for a buffer?

The optimal pH range for a buffer depends on the specific application. However, most biological buffers are designed to maintain a pH range of 7.2-7.4, which is close to the physiological pH of human cells. This range is important for maintaining proper enzyme function and cell function.