Why Divide by 4 in Pendulum Period Calculation?

In summary, the question involves finding the time a person must hang on a pendulum in order to drop into the water at the greatest possible instance from the edge. The formula for Period, T, is used, but the resulting time must be further divided by 4 to account for only the time from the equilibrium point to an extreme. This is because the original calculation would result in a complete cycle (roundtrip) time, when only half of the time is needed.
asilvester635

Homework Statement

The question is in part 3 (image). Basically I used the formula for Period, T, of a pendulum of length L with free-fall acceleration g. I got 8.52, but I had to further divide this number by 4 to get the time the person must hang on in order to drop into the water at the greatest possible instance from the edge. Why does it need to be divided by 4? I know that leaving the answer to be equal to T is wrong because you'd be back to your original position. But why divide by 4?

Homework Equations

Refer to part 3

The Attempt at a Solution

IMG_2316.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2316.jpeg
    IMG_2316.jpeg
    47.3 KB · Views: 430
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, ##T## is the time taken for a complete cycle (roundtrip), what you need is only the time from the equilibrium point to an extreme, so you must divide by four.

Ssnow

Likes asilvester635
Ssnow said:
Hi, ##T## is the time taken for a complete cycle (roundtrip), what you need is only the time from the equilibrium point to an extreme, so you must divide by four.

Ssnow
Thanks, it made so much sense when I drew a picture.

Related to Why Divide by 4 in Pendulum Period Calculation?

1. What is the period of a pendulum?

The period of a pendulum is the time it takes for the pendulum to complete one full swing from side to side.

2. How is the period of a pendulum calculated?

The period of a pendulum can be calculated using the equation T = 2π√(L/g), where T is the period, L is the length of the pendulum, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

3. Does the mass of the pendulum affect its period?

No, the mass of the pendulum does not affect its period. The period of a pendulum is only influenced by its length and the acceleration due to gravity.

4. How does the length of the pendulum affect its period?

The longer the length of the pendulum, the longer its period will be. This is because a longer pendulum has a larger distance to travel and therefore takes more time to complete one full swing.

5. What factors can affect the period of a pendulum?

The period of a pendulum can be affected by factors such as the length of the pendulum, the amplitude (angle of swing), the mass of the pendulum bob, and the local acceleration due to gravity.