Why Do Algebraic Tricks in Calculus Confuse Me?

• Thread starter mindheavy
  • Start date
In summary, a classmate showed a different way to solve a problem and it simplified it. Another way to solve the problem is integration by parts and using substitution.
mindheavy
I'm three weeks into my Calculus II semester and we've just finished covering derivatives and integrals of [itex]ln[/itex] and [itex]e^x[/itex]. We haven't had the first test yet, which will be covering this material.

Things that trip me up are some of the tricky u-substitution methods, change of form, etc., or one in particular is: [itex]\int\frac{2x}{(x-1)^2}dx[/itex]

A couple of classmates were working together the other day and the way one was showed to work this problem out was by changing the numerator to [itex]2(x-1)+2[/itex] which is essentially [itex]2x[/itex]. The thing that gets me about this is, I have no idea how to look at that example and know that I need to perform that change of form, my mind doesn't even see that.

Mostly I feel like I'm getting the calculus concepts, aside from what I've mentioned above, however I have always been a bit shaky with algebraic skills. It seems most of my mistakes come from making "simple" errors or not seeing ways of simplifying something that would be obvious to someone with a more solid understanding of algebra.

It's an odd feeling. If I know what problems I'm having, it should be easy to go back to certain topics in algebra and build up on them, but it hasn't worked out that way when I try it.

I thought someone might have the right tip for me, maybe trying something different will help me progress a little easer. Until then, I'll keep working examples, as that's the only thing I know to do to get better at these.

Physics news on Phys.org
You choose u based on the denominator and you need all the x's to go away in the integrand. Since u = x+1, you need to express everything in terms of (x+1) so that cancellation occurs and all x's are out of the integrand.

joeblow said:
You choose u based on the denominator and you need all the x's to go away in the integrand. Since u = x+1, you need to express everything in terms of (x+1) so that cancellation occurs and all x's are out of the integrand.

Do you mean x-1?

Anyway, in calculus, adding and subtracting or multiplying and dividing the same quantity are commonplace. Try to think of what you can add/subtract/multiply/divide to simplify the expression, and then make a substitution on what's left.

Whovian said:
Try to think of what you can add/subtract/multiply/divide to simplify the expression, and then make a substitution on what's left.

Thanks, I definitely see how in the example I used, doing what you say does make it simpler to work with. I'll try to get used to thinking this way more often. Maybe this is what's giving me difficulty, I'm not used to thinking this way to solve a problem mathematically..

Perhaps a little more direct way to look at it is to note that [itex]\int 2x/(x-1)^2 dx[/itex] and, generally, the more complicated a denominator is, the harder the integral will be. So Let u= x- 1, du= dx. Now, from that, x= u+ 1 and so 2x= 2u+ 2.

The integral becomes [itex]\int (2u+ 2)/u du= 2\int du+ 2\int (1/u)du[/itex].

One more way to solve it is integration by parts.

[itex]\int u(x)v'(x)dx[/itex] = [itex] u(x)v(x) - \int u'(x)v(x)dx[/itex]

Substituting [itex]u(x) = 2x[/itex] and [itex]v(x) = - \frac{1}{(x-1)} [/itex]:

[itex] \int \frac{2x}{(x-1)^2}dx = - \frac{2x}{x-1} + \int \frac{2}{x-1}dx = - \frac{2x}{x-1} + 2ln(x-1).[/itex]

FAQ: Why Do Algebraic Tricks in Calculus Confuse Me?

1. What are the transcendentals?

The transcendentals are three fundamental principles or concepts in philosophy and mathematics: truth, goodness, and beauty. They are considered to be universal and inherent in all things.

2. Why is it difficult to understand or struggle with the transcendentals?

The transcendentals are abstract concepts that can be difficult to grasp and apply in our daily lives. Additionally, they can be understood in different ways by different individuals, leading to confusion and struggle in understanding their true essence.

3. How can one learn to better understand and embrace the transcendentals?

One way to better understand and embrace the transcendentals is through reflection and contemplation. By taking the time to think deeply about truth, goodness, and beauty, one can gain a deeper understanding of these concepts and their role in our lives.

4. Are the transcendentals connected to religion or spirituality?

While the transcendentals have been explored in religious and spiritual contexts, they are not exclusively tied to any specific belief system. They can be understood and appreciated by individuals of any faith or worldview.

5. How do the transcendentals relate to scientific inquiry?

The transcendentals are not limited to philosophical or spiritual discussions, but can also be applied in scientific inquiry. For example, seeking truth is a key aspect of the scientific method, and the pursuit of beauty can inspire creativity and innovation in scientific research.