Why Do Cables Use dx for Distributed Loads and ds for Weight?

In summary, the speaker shares their answer to a question about a smooth, unpinned collar and its ability to prevent a moment. They believe that knowing the amount of play between materials would allow for a more accurate calculation of prevented force and moment. However, they also note that in the ideal case, there can be no space between the collar and journal and yet it can still slide if the frictional force is zero. They then move on to their main question about distributed loads on cables and the difference between dx and ds in regards to calculating them. They express confidence that someone in the group has experience with this topic.
Cyrus
First, on an unrelated note, I would like to share an anwser I think I found to be correct on a question I posted here a while back. I asked about how a smooth collar that was Not Pinned could prevent a moment. The problem I was faceing was the fact that in order to have "play" so that the collar is loose, there had to be some physical gap to allow for sliding. But if there is a gap, then when a moment is applied to the collar, it will move due to this gap a minute amount, which will result in some horrible complications. I think my resasoning in my gripe was correct, and if you actually did know the amount of gap/play or slop (whatever you want to call it) between the materials, you could calculate a moment and force that is prevented more accurately. (The amount of error in reality would depend on the geometry of the collar and the amount of play between it and the journal.) But the little devil here is the fact that there can be literally NO space between the collar and the journal, and yet it can still have the ability to slide, provided that the frictional force is zero! What a tricky little devilish detail! I guess that's why they call it an IDEAL CASE! :biggrin:

Anywho, My question is on distributed loads on cables. Why is a distributed load on a cable with respect to dx, but a distributed weight of a cable with resepct to arch length ds? (Oh yeah, and I've got a lot more questions on this subject to come!)

Engineering news on Phys.org
Im 100% positive that someone here has dealt with statics of distributive loads on roaps.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and insights on the topic of statics of ropes and cables. It's always great to see someone actively engaging and finding answers to their questions.

Regarding your first point about the smooth collar preventing a moment, your reasoning seems to be correct. The gap or play between the collar and the journal can definitely affect the accuracy of the calculations. This is why it's important to consider all factors, including the geometry and frictional forces, when analyzing a system.

As for your question about distributed loads and weights on cables, it's important to note that these two terms refer to different types of loads. A distributed load is a load that is spread out over a certain length or area, while a distributed weight is the weight of a cable that is distributed along its length. The reason for using different variables (dx for distributed load and ds for distributed weight) is to account for this difference in the type of load.

I hope this helps clarify your question and I look forward to hearing more of your thoughts and questions on this subject. Keep up the curiosity and enthusiasm!

Related to Why Do Cables Use dx for Distributed Loads and ds for Weight?

What is the difference between static and dynamic ropes?

Static ropes are designed for low stretch and are used in activities where there is minimal movement, such as rappelling. Dynamic ropes are designed to stretch and absorb energy, making them suitable for activities like rock climbing where falls are more likely.

How do I determine the strength of a rope or cable?

The strength of a rope or cable is determined by its breaking strength, which is the maximum load it can withstand before breaking. This is typically measured in pounds or kilonewtons (kN) and can be found on the product label or specifications.

What factors affect the strength of a rope or cable?

The strength of a rope or cable can be affected by various factors, including the type of material used, the diameter and construction of the rope, the age and condition of the rope, and the method of use and care.

How do I properly care for and maintain ropes and cables?

To ensure the longevity and safety of ropes and cables, it is important to regularly inspect them for wear and damage, store them properly in a cool and dry place, and avoid exposing them to harsh chemicals or extreme temperatures. It is also important to follow the manufacturer's instructions for proper use and maintenance.

What are some common uses for ropes and cables?

Ropes and cables have a wide range of uses, including in recreational activities such as climbing and boating, as well as in industrial and commercial applications such as rigging, lifting, and towing. They are also commonly used in construction and transportation industries.