Why do circuit breakers blow when all machines are started at the same time?

In summary, the reason why circuit breakers will blow if all machines in a certain machine shop are started at the same time is due to the high instantaneous current caused by the lack of back EMF in the motors at the initial start-up. This exceeds the rating of the circuit breaker, whereas when the machines are started one at a time, the back EMF is produced and lowers the current draw enough to prevent the circuit breaker from blowing.
stonewall22

Homework Statement

In a certain machine shop, if everyone starts their machines at the same time circuit breakers will blow, even if all the machines can normally operate simultaneously. Why?

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that typically direct current is used to supply electricity to buildings while alternating current is used to transport electricity long distances. I know that circuit breakers blow when the current passing through them is higher than their rating. So, I can't think of anyway using a DC circuit that this could occur.

Using AC power the RMS current is lower than the max rating on the circuit breaker, so the circuit breaker never blows if the machines are started one at a time. However, if all the machines are started simultaneously the instantaneous current is too high for the circuit breaker and it blows...

Physics news on Phys.org
stonewall22 said:

Homework Statement

In a certain machine shop, if everyone starts their machines at the same time circuit breakers will blow, even if all the machines can normally operate simultaneously. Why?

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that typically direct current is used to supply electricity to buildings while alternating current is used to transport electricity long distances. I know that circuit breakers blow when the current passing through them is higher than their rating. So, I can't think of anyway using a DC circuit that this could occur.

Using AC power the RMS current is lower than the max rating on the circuit breaker, so the circuit breaker never blows if the machines are started one at a time. However, if all the machines are started simultaneously the instantaneous current is too high for the circuit breaker and it blows...
I'm not positive about my answer, but maybe it's because if you simultaneously start all the machines, they are all definitely in phase whereas the machines are normally not in phase so that when one inductive load is at Imax, another may be at Imin.

Nope. Search on torque versus RPM for electric motor.

When a motor is running, back EMF is produced which lowers the applied current. By Lenz's Law we know that the induced current in in a direction so that the flux it causes opposes the changing magnetic flux (caused by current being introduced in the the motor). Initially, right when turned on, there is no back EMF, so the current draw by the motor is higher than that the circuit can handle, so when all motors are started simultaneously the circuit blows. They reason they can all run simultaneously when not started together is that the back EMF lowers the total current draw enough to prevent the total current from exceeding the circuit breaker's limit.

FAQ: Why do circuit breakers blow when all machines are started at the same time?

1. What is a circuit breaker and how does it work?

A circuit breaker is an electrical safety device that is used to protect an electrical circuit from damage caused by excess current. It works by automatically shutting off the flow of electricity when it detects a fault or overloading in the circuit. This prevents any potential damage to the circuit and also reduces the risk of electrical fires.

2. How do you reset a tripped circuit breaker?

To reset a tripped circuit breaker, you need to first locate the circuit breaker panel in your home or building. Open the panel door and look for the switch that is in the "off" position or in between the "on" and "off" position. Push the switch back to the "on" position to reset it. If the circuit breaker keeps tripping, it may be a sign of an underlying issue and you should consult a professional electrician.

3. What are the common causes of a tripped circuit breaker?

The most common causes of a tripped circuit breaker include overloaded circuits, short circuits, and ground faults. An overloaded circuit occurs when too many appliances or devices are being used on the same circuit, causing it to draw more current than it can handle. Short circuits and ground faults occur when there is a direct connection between the hot wire and the neutral or ground wire, causing a sudden surge of electricity.

4. Can I replace a circuit breaker myself?

No, it is not recommended to replace a circuit breaker yourself unless you are a qualified electrician. Working with electricity can be dangerous and should only be done by someone with the proper training and equipment. It is important to hire a professional to ensure the circuit breaker is installed correctly and safely.

5. How often should circuit breakers be tested or replaced?

Circuit breakers should be tested regularly, at least once a year, to ensure they are functioning properly. If you notice any signs of wear or damage, such as rust or corrosion, it is important to have the circuit breaker replaced by a professional. It is also a good idea to have a professional inspect your circuit breaker every 5-10 years to check for any potential issues.