Why Do Divergence Theorem and Regular Flux Method Yield Different Results?

In summary: This is why you got different results when using the two methods. In summary, you need to use the divergence theorem to accurately calculate the flux through a curved surface.
BatmanACC
Note: I've attached images of my work at the bottem of this post.

I've calculated the flux through a given surface by using The
Divergence Theorem and by using the regular flux method. These
methods give different results, however.

This leads me to assume one of the following is true:

Note: N is the unit vector outter normal to S (probably didn't have
to be said, but I didnt include it in my question on the paper!)

1) My math is wrong in one or both of the cases
2) One of these methods doesn't apply here
3) I didn't fully complete the regular flux method and I didnt
account for the s4 side (as depicted in the picture in the second
image) but I should have.

The equation used is: NdS = +/- (-dF/dx - dF/dy + K)
Of course for the sides that are along the cordinate axis
it is easiar to compute F*N because N in that case would
be along one of the cordinate axes and simply be a unit vector
along the axis.

I believe that the surface is entirely smooth (1-piece)
and can be evaluated using one instance of that equation.
Also I thought the question is asking for the Flux through
(i.e. only the flux out of the top surface) This is my
original assumption. However...

I'm fairly sure that my original assumption was wrong and that I
need to compute all the various sides (diagram shown in the second
link). Of course, most of these sides will result in 0 flux due to
the dot product of perpendicular vectors. But this is computed
through the divergence theorem easily enough. So I think that the
way I did it with the divergence theorem is the correct way. Yes?

Calculated Flux through just the upper surface
"[URL
http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/6020/question0011.th.jpg
[/URL]
Calculated via the Divergence Theorem

http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/1120/question10review0001.th.jpg
[/URL]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Diagram of the surface[URL http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/4887/question2review0001.th.jpg [/URL]Yes, I believe that the way you did it with the divergence theorem is the correct way. The regular flux method assumes that the surface is flat and that the normal vector is constant over the entire surface. However, in your case, since the surface is curved, the normal vector is not constant and thus the regular flux method does not apply here.

Related to Why Do Divergence Theorem and Regular Flux Method Yield Different Results?

1. What is the Divergence Theorem?

The Divergence Theorem, also known as Gauss's Theorem, is a mathematical theorem that relates the flux of a vector field through a closed surface to the volume integral of the divergence of that field over the enclosed volume.

2. How is the Divergence Theorem applied in real-world situations?

The Divergence Theorem has many applications in physics and engineering, such as in fluid flow problems, electromagnetic field analysis, and heat transfer calculations. It is also used in the study of fluid dynamics and the analysis of complex systems.

3. What is flux and how is it related to the Divergence Theorem?

Flux is the measure of the flow of a quantity through a surface. In the context of the Divergence Theorem, it represents the amount of a vector field that passes through a closed surface. The Divergence Theorem relates the flux of a vector field to the divergence of that field, providing a useful tool for calculating flux in various situations.

4. Can you explain the mathematical formula for the Divergence Theorem?

The mathematical formula for the Divergence Theorem is ∫∫∫ (div F) dV = ∫∫ F · dS, where ∫∫∫ represents a volume integral, (div F) represents the divergence of the vector field F, and ∫∫ represents a surface integral. Essentially, this formula states that the volume integral of the divergence of a vector field over a closed volume is equal to the surface integral of the vector field over the enclosing surface.

5. What are the limitations of the Divergence Theorem?

The Divergence Theorem is only applicable to closed surfaces and cannot be used for open surfaces. Additionally, the vector field must be differentiable within the enclosed volume for the theorem to hold. It also assumes that the vector field is continuous and well-behaved. In some cases, the Divergence Theorem may not provide an accurate solution, and other methods may be necessary.

Back