Why do energy bands bend in semiconductors?

In summary, the figure shows the effect of Vg on the electrostatic potential for both p-type and n-type semiconducting nanowires. The bands bend in the way they do when applying a gate voltage V_g because of the charge distributions in the materials.
mzh
Dear Physics forum users
The below figure is from

http://pubs.acs.org/doi/full/10.1021/jp0009305

In Fig. 3, energy band diagrams are shown for a semiconducting material inbetween two metal electrodes.
8940578.jpe

The figure caption is: "Figure 3 Energy band diagrams for (a) p-type SiNW (b) n-type SiNW devices. The diagrams show schematically the effect of Vg on the electrostatic potential for both types of nanowires."

Why do the bands bend in the way they do when applying a gate voltage V_g? Where can I find an explanation of this?

Thanks for hints or pointing me out to references on this.

Physics news on Phys.org
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Band_bending
... bands bend in response to the charge distributions in the materials. Makes it look like the band boundaries are trying to be continuous across the interface.

what I'm just not getting is why the, say, p-type carriers get lower in energy, when applying positive gate voltage. how can i picture this to me?

Are these electron or hole potentials?
Where is the gate voltage applied?
What happens to the charge carriers under the potential difference?

Simon Bridge said:
Are these electron or hole potentials?
Where is the gate voltage applied?
What happens to the charge carriers under the potential difference?

i'm not sure i understand your 1. question.. by "potentials" do you mean "bands"? in the figure, the top(bottom) schematic is for p(n)-type carriers, so it is hole(electron) potentials. do you mean this?

The gate voltage is applied to the semiconducting material.

it doesn't make sense to me that a positive voltage should lower the energy of a positive charge carrier. or why does it?

would be great to understand this.

The band edges are potential functions.

If it is concave down, then the middle is repulsive to holes and attractive to electrons.
(for hole potentials, but the other way for electron potentials.)

The band bending though is due to a distribution of mobile charge carriers as well as the applied potential.

What is the gate voltage positive or negative with respect to?
There are usually two other voltages important to these things.

What happens to the mobile charge carriers if you increase the applied gate voltage?

It seems both M-S.C. junctions are in reverse bias. In case of n-type of S.C., without any applied potential, with higher work function of metal & smaller workfunction of S.C. The electrons transfer from S.C. to metal creating a depletion region ( i.e. a space charge region that is depleted of electrons and has positive space charge) in S.C. This continues till the system reaches equilibrium i.e. both the fermi levels of metal & S.C. allign themselves & forming a schottky barrier height. The electrons flowing into the metal form a surface density of negative charges. As a result, the energy an electron at the conduction band edge is higher at the S.C. surface than it is in the bulk of the S.C. outside the depletion region.

What I wrote above is the system in equilibrium. Now, when you apply a +ve potential to metal & -ve potential to n-type S.C, the barrier height between S.C. & metal decreases. This system is called as forward bias.

Its somewhat similar in the case of P-type S.C. Hope I didn't confuse you more.

Related to Why do energy bands bend in semiconductors?

1. Why do energy bands bend in semiconductors?

The energy bands in semiconductors bend due to the presence of impurities or defects in the crystal lattice, which disrupts the regular arrangement of atoms and creates localized energy levels. These energy levels can either be above or below the conduction band, causing the bands to bend.

2. How do impurities affect the bending of energy bands in semiconductors?

The introduction of impurities, also known as dopants, into a semiconductor material creates either excess or deficiency of electrons, which results in the formation of localized energy levels. These energy levels can cause the energy bands to bend, as they introduce new energy states within the band gap.

3. Can the bending of energy bands be controlled in semiconductors?

Yes, the bending of energy bands in semiconductors can be controlled by carefully choosing the type and concentration of dopants. By controlling the doping levels, it is possible to manipulate the energy levels and thereby control the bending of energy bands.

4. What is the significance of energy band bending in semiconductors?

The bending of energy bands is crucial in determining the electrical and optical properties of semiconductors. It affects the energy levels available for electrons to move and participate in conduction, as well as the absorption and emission of light. This makes it essential for the functioning of semiconductor devices such as transistors and solar cells.

5. How does temperature affect the bending of energy bands in semiconductors?

At higher temperatures, electrons in the valence band gain more thermal energy and can move to the conduction band, creating more free carriers. This results in a decrease in the energy band bending, as the energy levels become more uniform. At low temperatures, the energy bands may bend more due to the absence of free carriers and the dominance of localized energy states.