Why Do Equal Forces Result in Different Accelerations for Two Different Masses?

In summary, the conversation is about a physics homework problem involving two girls of different masses standing on a frozen pond. One girl pushes the other with a force of 360N for 0.10s, and the problem asks for the acceleration of each girl. The answer provided by the key is 3.6m/s2, which is obtained by adding the masses of both girls and dividing by the force. However, this does not make sense to the person asking for assistance, as they expected the accelerations to be different due to the difference in masses.
boii
I am needing assistant on my physics homework. I have received the answer of 0.6m/s2 and 0.9ms/2 for the answers but when i check my key that the answer provided it is 3.6m/s2 and when i check over the work they provided it doesn't make sense to me at all. They got the answer of 3.6 by adding the to mass together and dividing by the force. But shouldn't they be different for each since one person weighs more than the other?
two girls, one of mass 40kg and the other mass 60kg, are standing side by side in the middle of a frozen pond.the larger one pushes the smaller one with a force of 360N for 0.10sthe ice is virtually friction less. What is each girls acceleration?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, the girl doing the pushing is pushing herself away as well as the other girl.
So they seem to be saying that the force has to accelerate both masses for the same time.
But, like you, I'd have expected that to just mean that both girls get the same change in momentum, not the same average acceleration.

Related to Why Do Equal Forces Result in Different Accelerations for Two Different Masses?

1. What is the definition of dynamics in physics?

Dynamics in physics is the branch of mechanics that deals with the study of motion and its causes, particularly the forces that act on bodies and the effects those forces have on motion.

2. What are the main laws of dynamics?

The main laws of dynamics are Newton's three laws of motion:

• First law: An object at rest will remain at rest, and an object in motion will remain in motion at a constant velocity, unless acted upon by an external force.
  • Second law: The acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass.
  • Third law: For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

3. What is the difference between statics and dynamics?

Statics deals with the study of objects at rest or in equilibrium, while dynamics deals with the study of objects in motion and the forces that cause that motion.

4. How do you calculate force in dynamics?

Force is calculated using the formula:
Force (F) = mass (m) x acceleration (a)

5. What are some real-life applications of dynamics?

Dynamics has many real-life applications, including:

• The design and engineering of vehicles, such as cars, airplanes, and rockets.
  • The study of motion and forces in sports, such as the trajectory of a baseball or the forces acting on a gymnast during a routine.
  • The analysis of structures and buildings to determine their stability and potential for collapse.
  • The study of celestial bodies and their motion in space.

Back