Why Do Fractions Like 2/3 and 3/2 Frequently Appear in Physics Problems?

• I
  • Thread starter FallenApple
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the prevalence of certain fractions, such as 2/3, 3/2, 2/5, and 5/2, in various mathematical problems, and the idea that this may be due to the use of simple exact solutions by teachers. The conversation also mentions the appearance of 1/2 and factors of powers of 2π in certain formulae, and the possibility of this being related to Fourier's influence. The conversation ends with a humorous remark about falling into the trap of numerology and a question about necroposting.
FallenApple
So I noticed something about problems. I see the number 2/3 or 3/2 a lot. For example, the height masses lose contact with sphere. Ladder losing contact with wall etc. Or 3/2 for the height above a rolling cue ball to strike for it to stop etc. And I notice the number 2/5 and 5/2 a lot as well. For example, the minimum height to make around the loop de loop.

Is there something more fundamental going on here?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think this is a result of teachers designing problems with simple exact solutions. This is not unlike the use of 30-60-90 or 45-45-90 triangles in trig or Pythagorean triplets i.e. 3-4-5 right triangles when teaching the Pythagorean theorem.

Likes S.G. Janssens
FallenApple said:
So I noticed something about problems. I see the number 2/3 or 3/2 a lot. For example, the height masses lose contact with sphere. Ladder losing contact with wall etc. Or 3/2 for the height above a rolling cue ball to strike for it to stop etc. And I notice the number 2/5 and 5/2 a lot as well. For example, the minimum height to make around the loop de loop.

I have noticed lots of 1/2 popping up recently. There must be a nest somewhere.

Likes HallsofIvy, russ_watters, S.G. Janssens and 1 other person
The worst are factors of powers of ##2 \pi##. They tend to be missing or appear to often in formulae. In this case you can trace it to Fourier as the culprit. LOL.

vanhees71 said:
The worst are factors of powers of 2π.
Use τ.

vanhees71 said:
##\tau##?

FallenApple said:
Yes, you've fallen into the trap of numerology :smile:

phinds said:
Yes, you've fallen into the trap of numerology :smile:
Have you fallen into the trap of necroposting?

Too easy.

Thread locked.

• Haha
Likes phinds

FAQ: Why Do Fractions Like 2/3 and 3/2 Frequently Appear in Physics Problems?

1. What is the special property of 2/3?

The special property of 2/3 is that it is an irrational number, meaning that it cannot be expressed as a ratio of two integers.

2. How is 2/3 different from other fractions?

Unlike other fractions, 2/3 has a decimal representation that never ends and never repeats. This is because it is an irrational number.

3. What is the decimal equivalent of 2/3?

The decimal equivalent of 2/3 is approximately 0.666666... However, it is an irrational number, so it has an infinite number of decimal places that never repeat.

4. Can 2/3 be simplified?

No, 2/3 cannot be simplified any further. It is already in its simplest form as an irreducible fraction.

5. Why is 2/3 often used in scientific calculations?

2/3 is often used in scientific calculations because it is a simple, yet unpredictable number. It is also frequently used in probability calculations and as a probability distribution in statistical analysis.

Back