Why Do Horizontal Motion Problems in AS Physics Challenge Students?

In summary, the conversation discussed the difficulty in solving problems involving the horizontal direction in physics, specifically in relation to a table tennis ball being hit from one end of a table. The UVATS/SUVATS method was mentioned, and the known parameters for both horizontal and vertical components were identified in order to solve the problem. The time a projectile is in flight is always the same when considering both horizontal and vertical motion.
influx
I'm currently studying Edexcel AS Physics (a UK-based examboard), I'm comfortable with problems where there is no horizontal component (so when something is thrown/released in a straight line; e.g. a ball thrown upwards), but I really struggle with problems that include the horizontal direction. I know that air resistance is neglected and thus the object will move with a constant velocity but it still doesn't make sense. For example, the below question:

A table tennis ball is hit, without any spin, from one end of a table so that it leaves
the bat horizontally with a speed of 31 m/s. The length of the table is 2.7 m. Show that the ball falls a vertical distance of about 4 cm as it travels the length of the table.

I usually use the UVATS/SUVATS method, but I am unsure what he values of these are in this case?

u = is it 31 m/s ?
v = ?
a = (do we consider this)
t = ?
s = (not sure?)

Physics news on Phys.org
Since you know that the horizontal and vertical components of the velocity are independent of each other, start by listing the known parameters of each. For example, what is the initial velocity in the horizontal direction? How about the vertical direction?

If you consider the horizontal motion alone, how long does it take to complete the portion of its journey that is of interest?

gneill said:
Since you know that the horizontal and vertical components of the velocity are independent of each other, start by listing the known parameters of each. For example, what is the initial velocity in the horizontal direction? How about the vertical direction?

If you consider the horizontal motion alone, how long does it take to complete the portion of its journey that is of interest?

I think I got it:

Horizontal:

u = 31 m/s
s = 2.7 m

since s = ut
s/u = t = 2.7/31 = 0.0870 seconds

Vertical:

u = 0 m/s
t= 0.0870 s
a= 9.8 m/s2
s = s

s = 0.5(9.8)(0.0870)2
s = 0.0371 m
s= 3.71 cm

The time a projectile is in flight, is always the same when considering vertical and horizontal right?

Cheers

influx said:
I think I got it:

Horizontal:

u = 31 m/s
s = 2.7 m

since s = ut
s/u = t = 2.7/31 = 0.0870 seconds

Vertical:

u = 0 m/s
t= 0.0870 s
a= 9.8 m/s2
s = s

s = 0.5(9.8)(0.0870)2
s = 0.0371 m
s= 3.71 cm
Yes, your method and results look good. Nicely done.
The time a projectile is in flight, is always the same when considering vertical and horizontal right?
Right. It couldn't be otherwise unless the projectile could be in two places at once!

gneill said:

gneill said:
Yes, your method and results look good. Nicely done.

Right. It couldn't be otherwise unless the projectile could be in two places at once!

Ahh yes! Thanks :)

FAQ: Why Do Horizontal Motion Problems in AS Physics Challenge Students?

1. What is horizontal motion?

Horizontal motion refers to the movement of an object in a straight line parallel to the ground. This type of motion is also known as rectilinear motion.

2. What causes an object to struggle with horizontal motion?

An object may struggle with horizontal motion due to factors such as air resistance, friction, or an unbalanced external force acting on it.

3. How can we calculate the speed of an object experiencing horizontal motion?

The speed of an object experiencing horizontal motion can be calculated by dividing the distance traveled by the time taken. This is known as average speed. Alternatively, if the acceleration and time are known, the speed can be calculated using the formula v = u + at, where v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time.

4. What is the difference between horizontal and vertical motion?

The main difference between horizontal and vertical motion is the direction of movement. Horizontal motion occurs parallel to the ground, while vertical motion occurs perpendicular to the ground. Additionally, horizontal motion is affected by factors such as air resistance and friction, while vertical motion is mainly influenced by gravity.

5. How can we improve an object's horizontal motion?

To improve an object's horizontal motion, we can reduce factors such as air resistance and friction by making the object more streamlined or using smoother surfaces. We can also increase the force acting on the object, such as by using a more powerful engine or pushing/pulling with greater force. Additionally, minimizing any external forces acting on the object can also help improve its horizontal motion.