Why Do I Get Different Answers When Changing the Order of Integration?

In summary, Sean integrated the double integral between the boundaries y=x and y=x^2 incorrectly. He found that when he did x first, in terms of y, the SQRT(y) was greater then y, which led to a different answer then what he got from differenciating with repect to y first.
seanc12

Homework Statement

Solve the following Double Intergral, and show the answer is the same, regardless of which order you integrate.
The integral is between the boundaries [tex]y=x[/tex] and [tex]y=x^2[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]\int[/tex][tex]\int_R (x^2 + 2y)dxdy[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

So first of all i integrated with repsect to y first

[tex]\int_0^1 dx[/tex] [tex]\int^{x}_{x^2} (x^2 + 2y)dy[/tex]

[tex]\int_0^1 dx [yx^2+y^2]^x^2_x[/tex]

[tex]\int_0^1 dx (x^3 + x^2 - 2x^4)[/tex]

which give me an answer of
[tex]\frac{11}{60}[/tex]Then, with respect to x first I get:

[tex]\int_0^1 dy [/tex] [tex]\int_{\sqrt{y}}^y dx (x^2 + 2y)[/tex]

[tex]\int_0^1 dy [\frac{x^3}{3} + 2xy ]^{y}_{\sqrt{y}}[/tex]

[tex]\int_0^1 dy(\frac{y^3}{3} + 2y^2 - \frac{\sqrt{y}^3}{3} - \frac{2\sqrt{y}y}{3})[/tex]

This leads me to an answer different to what I got from differenciating with repect to y first.

Can someone please enlighten me with what I am doing wrong.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Howdy, Sean!
Well, it looks like you may have made an error concerning the limits of the integrals!

It seems to me that the limits for dy should be x^2 to x, and the limits for x should by 0 to 1.

When you said you would integrate W.R.T. y first, you got rid of the dx... So I am assuming that is a typo.

Another typo is at the square bracket, you have it as x to x^2 rather then x^2 to x.

But the main problem seems to be your rearranging of variables. Remember that we are looking at an area. Try drawing it. It should quickly become apparent that when doing x first, in terms of y, the SQRT(y) is greater then y. Thus it should go FROM y TO SQRT(y).

This will give you the correct solution.

Hi, thanks for the reply

Yeah, sorry about all the typos, I'm new to LaTeX so its a bit hard to follow some of what I'm typing.

I actually had my integral with repect to y from x to x^2, it was a typo.

I keep getting myself confused with the limits I should take, but hopefully I have it figured out now.

Thanks for the help!

No problem. I have issues with the limits as well.

What I find works extremely well is to draw a graph. Then you can just simply look at the graph and see what is going on, keeping in mind that what the integral at each limit is giving is the area between that curve and the axis, so the area between the is the area under the curve farthest from the axis minus the area under the curve closest to the axis.

Related to Why Do I Get Different Answers When Changing the Order of Integration?

1. What is a double integral?

A double integral is a type of integral in mathematics that involves integrating a function of two variables over a region in the plane. It is used to calculate the volume under a surface in three-dimensional space, or to find the area of a region on a plane.

2. What are some common difficulties or "troubles" encountered when solving double integrals?

Some common difficulties with double integrals include determining the limits of integration, choosing the correct order of integration, and correctly setting up the integrand. These problems can often be solved by carefully visualizing the region of integration and understanding the properties of the integrand.

3. How do I know which order to integrate in?

The order of integration in a double integral depends on the shape of the region of integration and the function being integrated. In general, it is easier to integrate in the direction of the variable with a simpler limit of integration. It may also be helpful to draw a diagram of the region to determine the correct order of integration.

4. Can I use different methods to solve double integrals?

Yes, there are several methods for solving double integrals, including using rectangular or polar coordinates, changing the order of integration, and using substitution or integration by parts. The method used often depends on the complexity of the integrand and the properties of the region of integration.

5. Are there any tricks or shortcuts for solving double integrals?

There are some common tricks and shortcuts that can be used to simplify double integrals, such as exploiting symmetry, using trigonometric identities, and using properties of the integrand, such as odd or even functions. However, these shortcuts may not always be applicable and it is important to understand the underlying principles of double integrals to solve them accurately.