Why Do I Get Logged Out When Posting on Forums After a Delay?

• Thread starter homerscousin
  • Start date
In summary, the person is experiencing issues with having to constantly log in to forums after being inactive for a few minutes. They have tried clicking "remember me" but it doesn't seem to work. They then realize that their browser may not be accepting cookies, which is necessary for staying logged in. They thank the other person for suggesting this solution.
homerscousin
I experience this at other sites also. I click reply, compose my message, go to the kitchen for a cup of coffee, make a sandwich etc., come back , proofread etc. By the time I click post reply several minutes have gone by and I find I have to re- log in. WHY? Do most forums have an inactivity time limit? I click remember me. Doesn't seem to help. I'm just wondering, do I have to become a much faster typer or am I missing a setting somewhere that allows me to start a reply, or new thread, and do other things until I click post maybe 10+ minutes later?

Physics news on Phys.org
Is your browser set to accept cookies? You can click remember all you like, but unless you are accepting them it won't make a difference.

Is that the answer? I need cookies ON? I run firefox 4 and I always keep cookies OFF. unless I make an online purchase etc. that I know requires cookies.

Holy crap! I never would have thought of that. I love to eat cookies(chocolate chip, fresh from the oven) but I don't quite understand why I need them enabled on my computer for seemingly simple tasks. Guess I need to delve into my browser preferences for allowable cookie sites. Thank-you.

FAQ: Why Do I Get Logged Out When Posting on Forums After a Delay?

1. Why did I get logged out while posting a reply?

There could be several reasons for getting logged out while posting a reply. It could be due to a session timeout, where you were inactive on the page for too long, or due to a network issue. It could also be because you accidentally clicked on the logout button or your account was logged out from another device.

2. Will my reply be saved if I get logged out?

Unfortunately, if you get logged out while posting a reply, your reply will not be saved. You will have to log in again and repost your reply. It is always a good idea to save your reply in a separate document before posting, in case you encounter any issues.

3. How can I prevent getting logged out while posting a reply?

To prevent getting logged out while posting a reply, make sure you are actively using the page and do not stay inactive for too long. You can also try using a stable internet connection to avoid any network issues. Additionally, make sure you are not accidentally clicking on the logout button.

4. Can I retrieve my reply if I accidentally got logged out?

If you accidentally got logged out while posting a reply, unfortunately, there is no way to retrieve your reply. You will have to log in again and repost your reply. It is always a good practice to save your replies in a separate document before posting.

5. Is there a way to extend the session timeout?

Depending on the website or platform you are using, there may be a way to extend the session timeout. Some sites have an option to adjust the session timeout duration in the account settings. However, it is always best to actively use the page to avoid being logged out due to inactivity.