Why Do I Go Blank on Tricky Exam Questions Despite Understanding the Theory?

• Thread starter smart_worker
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the speakers discuss their struggles with understanding and solving tricky questions in competitive exam preparation. They suggest practicing a variety of questions, including those with solutions and those without, in order to test and improve understanding of the subject material. They also emphasize the importance of thoroughly understanding the concepts before attempting more difficult problems.
smart_worker
i am trying to prepare for competitive exams.i purchased halliday and resnick.when i try to learn a chapter.i first go through the theory part.then when i come back to solve the numericals,my mind goes completely blank.i understood the chapter but when i come up with some tricky questions,i just don't know how.the same goes with chemistry and math.my iq is very low.what should i do to to solve them?

Physics news on Phys.org
yeah. I have the same thing, to some extent. I can read through a chapter, or listen to a lecture, and walk away thinking that I have a fairly good understanding. But then if I'm given a tricky question, I sometimes just have no idea. I think this is because understanding the subject is on a continuum. In other words, you can understand a bit, or understand well, or understand really well. And often I don't even realize if I understand something a bit, or really well. I think doing practice questions can help you realize how well you know the subject. Therefore, I always have to practice a few questions, or even just make up a suitable physics problem, so that I can test how well I know it. And if I don't know it so well, then I re-learn the stuff that I was not so good with, and practice again. That's how I do it anyway, everyone is different, but this might help you too.

BruceW said:
Therefore, I always have to practice a few questions, or even just make up a suitable physics problem, so that I can test how well I know it. And if I don't know it so well, then I re-learn the stuff that I was not so good with, and practice again. That's how I do it anyway, everyone is different, but this might help you too.

What exactly do you mean by practising? Is it like understanding the solved example questions and then try to solve the unsolved ones?

yeah, I mean ideally all the example questions would have solutions. And for each one, I would try my best to get the answer myself (without looking at the solution), and then check it with the solution. And if I got it wrong, then keep practising until I can do the problem all myself without looking at the given solution halfway through.

But if some of the examples don't have solutions, then for those I guess you can't tell if you got it right. But you can still try them anyway, it will still be good practice, as long as you give it a good attempt. Also, you can always just think up example problems in your head to practise. But this will maybe be less efficient for studying, since the examples in your book will usually be pretty good ones.

You need to understand the concepts thoroughly and need to do more simpler or sample problems to get used to the material. Then, you should do better solving the more difficult problems.

FAQ: Why Do I Go Blank on Tricky Exam Questions Despite Understanding the Theory?

1. How do I approach a physics problem?

When solving a physics problem, it is important to first understand the question and identify what information is given and what is being asked. Then, you should draw a diagram or visualize the problem to better understand the scenario. Finally, you can use relevant equations and principles to solve for the unknown quantity.

2. What are the key equations I need to know?

The key equations you need to know will depend on the specific topic or concept you are studying. However, some fundamental equations that are commonly used in physics include Newton's laws of motion, the equations of motion, and the equations for work, energy, and power. It is important to have a good understanding of these equations and how to use them in different scenarios.

3. How can I check if my answer is correct?

There are a few ways to check if your answer is correct. One way is to use units to make sure they are consistent with the given information and the desired outcome. Another method is to estimate the answer before solving the problem to see if your calculated answer is reasonable. Additionally, you can also double check your calculations to ensure they are accurate.

4. How do I handle problems with multiple steps?

For problems with multiple steps, it is important to break down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts. Solve each part separately, and then combine the solutions to get the final answer. It can also be helpful to label each step and show your work clearly, so you can keep track of your progress and easily identify any mistakes.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving physics problems?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving physics problems include forgetting to convert units, using incorrect equations or formulas, and making calculation errors. It is also important to pay attention to significant figures and use the appropriate number of decimal places in your answer. Additionally, always make sure to read the question carefully and answer what is being asked, rather than making assumptions or solving for the wrong quantity.