Why do magnets in a Gauss gun exhibit backward drift after being hit?

In summary, the conversation is about the speaker building a Gaussian gun for a physics filming project and discovering that the magnets start drifting backwards after being hit. They ask for an explanation and someone responds by saying it is just recoil, also known as conservation of momentum. The speaker also provides a slide with a simplified explanation of the Gaussian gun for those who are unfamiliar with it.
Aleks
So I was building a Gaussian gun for physics filming it at 300fps. See video:
http://youtu.be/hZcAk3uBp58

While skipping frame by frame, I realized that all the magnets started drifting backwards after being hit. Can someone explain in detail what is going on? Sorry if my physics is not advanced enough here, but it's either something really simple or I just broke physics.

I'm sure you're all familiar with the Gauss Gun, but if not - see one of my (attached) slides showing a dumbed down version of what it is.

Attachments

• dfgr.JPG
    dfgr.JPG
    40.3 KB · Views: 1,836
Physics news on Phys.org
That's just recoil. Aka conservation of momentum.

Related to Why do magnets in a Gauss gun exhibit backward drift after being hit?

1. How does a Gauss gun work?

The Gauss gun is a device that uses magnetic force to accelerate a projectile to high speeds. It consists of a series of magnets arranged in a specific pattern that creates a magnetic field. When a metal projectile, such as a steel ball, is placed in this field, it becomes magnetized and is propelled forward by the repulsion of the magnets.

2. What factors affect the speed of the projectile in a Gauss gun?

The speed of the projectile in a Gauss gun is affected by several factors, including the strength of the magnets used, the distance between the magnets, and the weight and size of the projectile. The closer the magnets are to each other, the stronger the magnetic field, resulting in a faster acceleration of the projectile.

3. Can any type of magnet be used in a Gauss gun?

No, not all types of magnets are suitable for use in a Gauss gun. The most commonly used magnets are neodymium magnets, which are strong and lightweight. Regular household magnets are not strong enough to create the necessary magnetic field for the gun to work effectively.

4. Are there any safety precautions to take when using a Gauss gun?

Yes, it is important to take safety precautions when using a Gauss gun. The projectile can reach high speeds and can cause injury if not handled properly. It is recommended to wear protective gear, such as safety glasses, when using the gun. Additionally, the gun should always be pointed in a safe direction and not aimed at people or animals.

5. Can a Gauss gun be used for practical purposes?

While Gauss guns are commonly used as a fun science experiment, they do have some practical applications. They can be used in industries where high-speed metal projectiles are needed, such as in manufacturing or research facilities. However, the practical use of Gauss guns is limited due to the cost and complexity of building and maintaining them.

Back