Why do Manganate(VII) ions need scidic conditions?

In summary: The presence of an acid is necessary for aqueous permanganate ions to function as an oxidizing agent. The ions are attracted to each other because they are negatively charged and the presence of a positive ion, the H+ ion, causes the reaction to happen.
ashwinnarayan

Homework Statement

[itex]MnO_4^{-} + 8H^{+} + 5e^{-} \rightleftharpoons Mn^{2+} + 4H_2O[/itex]

1. Explain why the presence of an acid is necessary for aqueous permanganate ions to function as an oxidizing agent.

2. Give two reasons for the aqueous permanganate ions acting as an oxidizing agent in acidic solutions.

The Attempt at a Solution

The only thing I can think about is the similarity between this reaction and the Iodine-peroxodisulphate reaction where the repulsion between the negative ions prevents fast reaction unless positively charged [itex] Fe^{3+} [/itex] are present to catalyze the reaction.

So my guess is that since permanganate ions are negatively charged and ions that need to be oxidized like [itex] Cl^{-} [/itex] are negatively charged they repel each other. So a positive ion - the [itex] H^{+} [/itex] ion is needed to make the reaction happen.

I know this explanation is not perfect because permanganate ions also oxidize ions like [itex] Fe^{2+} [/itex].

So any ideas?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The question is invalid - permanganate acts as an oxidizing agent not only in acidic conditions, it also works in neutral and alkaline solutions, just products are different (compare http://www.titrations.info/permanganate-titration).

Won't it be enough to take a look at the reaction equation and think in terms of LeChatelier's principle?

--

I got the question from an A-Level Chemistry textbook in a chapter on electrochemistry.

The question may be referring to the specific reaction and why the presence of an acid improves the the oxidizing capabilities of permanganate ions.

Does it act like a catalyst?

I say this because the standard electrode potential for the above reaction is more positive than the standard electrode potentials for the reactions in neutral conditions.

Do as I told you: take a look at the reaction equation, think in terms of LeChatelier's principle.

ashwinnarayan said:
Does it act like a catalyst?

What is catalyst definition? Is it consumed in the reaction?

Related to Why do Manganate(VII) ions need scidic conditions?

1. Why do Manganate(VII) ions need acidic conditions?

Manganate(VII) ions, also known as permanganate ions, are highly reactive and can easily undergo reduction reactions in basic or neutral environments. In order to maintain their stability and prevent premature reduction, they require acidic conditions.

2. What happens if Manganate(VII) ions are not in acidic conditions?

If Manganate(VII) ions are not in acidic conditions, they will undergo reduction reactions and be converted to Manganese(IV) ions. This will result in a loss of their oxidizing properties and render them ineffective for certain chemical reactions.

3. Why is sulfuric acid commonly used to create acidic conditions for Manganate(VII) ions?

Sulfuric acid is a strong acid and can effectively lower the pH of a solution, creating an acidic environment for Manganate(VII) ions. It is also readily available and relatively inexpensive, making it a convenient choice for creating acidic conditions in laboratory settings.

4. Can other acids be used to create acidic conditions for Manganate(VII) ions?

Yes, other strong acids such as hydrochloric acid and nitric acid can also be used to create acidic conditions for Manganate(VII) ions. However, the choice of acid may depend on the specific chemical reaction being performed and the availability of the acid.

5. Are there any alternative methods for creating acidic conditions for Manganate(VII) ions?

Yes, instead of using strong acids, acid salts such as ammonium sulfate or potassium bisulfate can also be used to create acidic conditions for Manganate(VII) ions. These salts release acidic hydrogen ions when dissolved in water, creating an acidic environment for the ions.