Why do particle masses apparently follow a power law?

In summary, there is no apparent power law behind the masses of particles, but it is possible that this is due to a deeper, undiscovered theory.
Steve Davis
Looking at the known masses of the elementary particles, they appear at first sight to be on some kind of exponential curve. It is certainly attractive for there to be such a simplicity - however, and interestingly ...nothing really lines up exactly. Is there any explanation for this or for the reason for an apparent power law underneath?

PS: Most curiously the biggest "bump" is that the strange quark mass is very close to the mass of the muon.

Physics news on Phys.org
What are the coordinates of the plot - mass vs. ?

For simplicity I was thinking a one-dimensional plot - just the masses. What I see is that (mostly!) the differences in mass between each known particle appears to dramatically increase as you go up the energy scale. To get this into a 2d plot I guess you could sort the particles by known mass then assign a "particle number" to each on x and do a plot on y to see what looks like a rather bumpy exponential curve (rather like the "graph of e"). Whichever, it seems hard to ignore the apparent power law that it suggests?

There is no "apparent power law". All you have said is that particles get big in a hurry - true, but that is not the definition of a power law.

Thanks for the answers! Let me rephrase the question: is there any explanation for why known particle masses seem to get big in a hurry? Why does it look like an exponential increase, and yet it isn't?

No, there is not.
A nice distribution on a logarithmic scale could be considered as "natural" in some way, as many things are distributed over many orders of magnitude, but this is not a real argument.

It might follow from a deeper, undiscovered theory.

Thanks to all. This problem has inspired me to learn more about the Standard Model. I'm sure that there has to be some explanation for the masses of fundamental particles, and there's a good reason why it isn't obvious as yet. It is however unlikely that I'll appreciate even the question fully until I know more about the math. A good outcome.

Related to Why do particle masses apparently follow a power law?

1. What is a power law and how does it relate to particle masses?

A power law is a mathematical relationship between two quantities where one quantity is proportional to a power of the other. In the context of particle masses, this means that the masses of particles are related to each other by a power function, where one mass is proportional to the other raised to a certain power.

2. Why do particle masses follow a power law?

The power law relationship among particle masses is a result of the underlying fundamental forces and interactions that govern the behavior of particles. These forces and interactions are described by mathematical equations, and the resulting solutions often reveal a power law relationship between particle masses.

3. How do scientists determine the power law exponent for particle masses?

Scientists use a combination of experimental data and theoretical models to determine the power law exponent for particle masses. By analyzing the behavior and properties of particles, along with the equations that govern their interactions, scientists can calculate the power law exponent and confirm its validity through experiments.

4. What implications does the power law relationship among particle masses have in the field of physics?

The power law relationship among particle masses has important implications in the field of physics. It helps us understand the fundamental forces and interactions that govern the behavior of particles, and it allows us to accurately predict the behavior of particles in various situations. This knowledge has led to advancements in fields such as cosmology, particle physics, and quantum mechanics.

5. Are there any exceptions to the power law relationship among particle masses?

While the power law relationship among particle masses is a widely observed phenomenon, there are some exceptions. In certain extreme conditions, such as high energies or strong gravitational fields, the power law relationship may not hold true. Additionally, there may be some particles that do not follow this relationship, but these particles are often considered to be outliers or anomalies.