Why do particles exhibit wave-like behavior in quantum mechanics?

In summary, Randybrian is an undergraduate physics student and struggles to understand why a particle would ''want'' to travel as a wave. He has some flawed visualisations of wave particle duality and believes that science has given up on trying to understand fundamental questions.
randybryan
I'm an undergraduate physics student and whilst Quantum Physics is a fascinating area, it has me constantly asking questions - probably a good thing right?

Now one of the fundamental principles to Quantum theory is the wave-particle duality of particles and light. I understand the history behind the concept (I think), but I still struggle to understand why a particle would ''want'' to travel as a wave. In my head I'm watching a particle zooming through the air in a sinusoidal motion. (I know there are lots of problems with this, i.e. uncertainty principle etc) but essentially this is right? Now in classical mechanics, a billiard ball (The generic object in EVERY book) moves in straight lines, it's a logical shortest-path motion. Quantum effects can be ignored due to the significantly large mass of the ball. Straight lines make sense for getting to places as quickly as possible. Waves don't. The only way I can see a wave making sense is if the medium I'm traveling through (as a photon or quantum particle) is forcing me to take a wave-like motion.

Throw your stuff at me! I know this is a very crude question, with very crude analogies, but I hope you can see my line of thought. Or wave of thought, whatever...

Physics news on Phys.org
The theory doesn't say that it's doing anything "sinusoidal" as it's moving from an emission event to a dectection event. Actually it doesn't tell you anything at all about what the particle does between emission and dection. It just tells you how to calculate the probability of detection. (The infamous "interpretations" of QM are all offering suggestions about what happens in transit, but QM itself doesn't).

There's an active thread about the double slit experiment that you should find interesting. https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=367343.

You would also like Feynman's "QED: The strange theory of light and matter", or the videos of the lectures that he turned into that book. http://vega.org.uk/video/subseries/8

randybryan said:
I'm an undergraduate physics student and whilst Quantum Physics is a fascinating area, it has me constantly asking questions - probably a good thing right?

Now one of the fundamental principles to Quantum theory is the wave-particle duality of particles and light. I understand the history behind the concept (I think), but I still struggle to understand why a particle would ''want'' to travel as a wave. In my head I'm watching a particle zooming through the air in a sinusoidal motion. (I know there are lots of problems with this, i.e. uncertainty principle etc) but essentially this is right? Now in classical mechanics, a billiard ball (The generic object in EVERY book) moves in straight lines, it's a logical shortest-path motion. Quantum effects can be ignored due to the significantly large mass of the ball. Straight lines make sense for getting to places as quickly as possible. Waves don't. The only way I can see a wave making sense is if the medium I'm traveling through (as a photon or quantum particle) is forcing me to take a wave-like motion.

Throw your stuff at me! I know this is a very crude question, with very crude analogies, but I hope you can see my line of thought. Or wave of thought, whatever...

Welcome to PhysicsForums, randybryan!

The thing to remember is that none of this has to make sense. We are lucky if we know the "how", but I don't think there is an answer to the "why". The purpose of science is to describe and/or predict. But fundamental questions will always defy answers.

So defeatist! Randybrian - you're visualisation has obvious flaws. But don't give up trying to understand wave particle duality. Seperating the how from the why is a
strawman argument in this case. And it ignores the what question. We may as well give up thinking. It reminds me of Lord Kelvins statement a century ago, about...

Related to Why do particles exhibit wave-like behavior in quantum mechanics?

What is a wave?

A wave is a disturbance or oscillation that travels through space or matter, accompanied by a transfer of energy. In simpler terms, it is a movement that causes energy to be transmitted without the movement of matter.

Why would I travel as a wave?

Traveling as a wave allows for efficient transfer of energy over long distances. This is because waves can travel through a medium without the need for physical contact, making it a faster and more efficient mode of transportation.

How do waves travel?

Waves travel by vibrating particles in a medium, such as air or water, in a back-and-forth motion. This creates a disturbance that moves through the medium, carrying energy with it.

What are some examples of traveling as a wave?

Some examples of traveling as a wave include sound waves, which travel through air and allow us to hear, and ocean waves, which travel through water and can carry surfers to shore. Electromagnetic waves, such as light and radio waves, also travel through space to allow us to see and communicate.

Can waves travel through all mediums?

No, waves can only travel through mediums that have the ability to vibrate and transmit energy. For example, sound waves cannot travel through a vacuum, as there are no particles to vibrate, but they can travel through air, water, and solids.