Why do people worry so much about microwave radiation?

In summary: People also worry about EM radiation from power lines, about the possibility of catastrophic black holes at the LHC, about any level of radiation, etc... etc. You are asking why some people are irrational. Is there really an answer for such a thing?Zz.There isn't really an answer for such a thing. People are irrational because they enjoy worrying. If the media were rational about this sort of thing then they could not entertain their audience.
fangrz
Why do people worry so much about microwave radiation if it has less energy than infrared (heat) radiation? Why do they worry about STANDING near microwaves versus standing near heat sources? Why do they worry about using it to heat up their food if it's lower in energy than infrared?

Science news on Phys.org
fangrz said:
Why do people worry so much about microwave radiation if it has less energy than infrared (heat) radiation? Why do they worry about STANDING near microwaves versus standing near heat sources? Why do they worry about using it to heat up their food if it's lower in energy than infrared?
Because microwave radiation is more penetrating than infrared. Too much microwave radiation can cook your brain inside your skull, to cite an unlikely, though theoretically possible, scenario.

http://www.labour.gov.on.ca/english/hs/pubs/radiation/gl_radio_2.php

Microwave radiation can also interfere with medical devices, like pacemakers, which some people depend on to keep them alive.

Ovens cook stuff, ergo microwaves could cook you.

fangrz said:

People also worry about EM radiation from power lines, about the possibility of catastrophic black holes at the LHC, about any level of radiation, etc... etc. You are asking why some people are irrational. Is there really an answer for such a thing?

Zz.

I don't think most people really worry too much about microwaves cooking their food. I don't know a lot about the subject but it seems to me like most of the 'harmful effects' are based on pseudoscience.

As mentioned above though that doesn't mean microwaves aren't dangerous...I wouldn't regularly stick my head right next to one when it was running for instance.

ZapperZ said:
People also worry about EM radiation from power lines, about the possibility of catastrophic black holes at the LHC, about any level of radiation, etc... etc. You are asking why some people are irrational. Is there really an answer for such a thing?

Zz.
If the media were rational about this sort of thing then they could not entertain their audience. No one ever wants to do the sums before panicking about something.

SteamKing said:
Because microwave radiation is more penetrating than infrared. Too much microwave radiation can cook your brain inside your skull, to cite an unlikely, though theoretically possible, scenario.

http://www.labour.gov.on.ca/english/hs/pubs/radiation/gl_radio_2.php

Microwave radiation can also interfere with medical devices, like pacemakers, which some people depend on to keep them alive.

Which is why microwaves have special doors to prevent any damage to curious people that want to keep an eye on their food while it is being heated. Fun anecdote: A friend of mine had a broken microwave that didn't switch off when the door was being opened, and after he stuck his hand inside, he had to go to the hospital to have it treated. He said that his hand looked really weird and that microwave burns were quite rare, so several people were called into have a look at it (an educational moment for everyone). However, he didn't really describe his condition as serious and as far as I could tell it didn't cause any permanent damage.

Related to Why do people worry so much about microwave radiation?

1. Why is there concern about microwave radiation?

The concern about microwave radiation stems from the fact that it is a form of electromagnetic radiation, which has been linked to potential health risks. This concern is further heightened by the widespread use of devices that emit microwave radiation, such as cell phones and microwave ovens.

2. Can microwave radiation cause cancer?

There is currently no conclusive evidence that microwave radiation causes cancer. While studies have shown that high levels of exposure to microwave radiation can cause tissue damage, the levels emitted by everyday devices are well below this threshold.

3. How does microwave radiation affect the human body?

Microwave radiation has the ability to penetrate the human body and cause molecules to vibrate, which can lead to heating of tissues. However, the levels emitted by household devices are not strong enough to cause any significant heating or harm to the body.

4. Are children more vulnerable to the effects of microwave radiation?

Children are not necessarily more vulnerable to the effects of microwave radiation. However, because their bodies are still developing, some experts recommend limiting their exposure to devices that emit microwave radiation as a precautionary measure.

5. How can I protect myself from microwave radiation?

To reduce your exposure to microwave radiation, you can limit your use of devices that emit it, such as cell phones and microwaves. You can also maintain a safe distance from these devices when they are in use, and use a hands-free device for cell phone calls. Additionally, you can opt for devices with lower radiation levels or use protective cases for your cell phone.