Why Do Physics Equations Confuse Me So Much?

• MHB
  • Thread starter lmae
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Head
In summary, the express train takes 5 1/2 hours to travel between two cities. If the express train takes only 3/5 of the time an ordinary train takes, it will take 5 1/2 hours for the ordinary train to travel between the two towns.
lmae
My brain feels like goop after reading these. I am struggling big time! Help is greatly appreciated.

Q1: The formula s=(u+v)/2t works out the distance traveled by an accelerating car (s), where u is the inital velocity, v is the final velocity and t is the time interval.
a) Transpose the formula, solving for v.
b) Find the velocity, v (metres/second, m/s) when s=400m, t=20s and u=30m.

Q2:An express train takes 5 1/2 hours to travel between two cities. If the express train takes only 3/5 of the time an ordinary train takes, how long will it take for the ordinary train to travel between the two towns?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
lmae said:
My brain feels like goop after reading these. I am struggling big time! Help is greatly appreciated.

Q1: The formula s=(u+v)/2t works out the distance traveled by an accelerating car (s), where u is the inital velocity, v is the final velocity and t is the time interval.
a) Transpose the formula, solving for v.
b) Find the velocity, v (metres/second, m/s) when s=400m, t=20s and u=30m.

Q2:An express train takes 5 1/2 hours to travel between two cities. If the express train takes only 3/5 of the time an ordinary train takes, how long will it take for the ordinary train to travel between the two towns?

Hello Imae :).

1a)

\(\displaystyle s = \frac{u+v}{2t}\)

Let's multiply both sides by $2t$, this gives,

\(\displaystyle s*2t = \frac{u+v}{2t} * 2t\).

We can see that the 2t terms on the right hand side (RHS) will cancel giving us,

\(\displaystyle 2ts = u + v\)

Subtracting u from both sides,\(\displaystyle 2ts - u = u + v - u\)

\(\displaystyle 2ts - u = v\)

Remember, whatever we do to one side, we must do to the other side. And in all of the above steps, we are working towards have v as our subject (in other words, we want the expression to be of the form 'v = something').

I have to go now, but hopefully this can get you started.

The formula s=(u+v)/2t works out the distance traveled by an accelerating car (s), where u is the inital velocity, v is the final velocity and t is the time interval.

Joppy did this problem assuming you meant \(\displaystyle s= \frac{u+ v}{2t}\). In fact, from physics, the correct formula is \(\displaystyle s= \frac{u+ v}{2} t\). That is a much simpler problem. To solve the equation v= At for t, divide both sides by A: t= v/A. In this case, \(\displaystyle A= \frac{u+ v}{2}\)

Let "A" be the time for an express train, "B" the time for an ordinary train. If "the express train takes only 3/5 of the time an ordinary train takes" then E= (3/5)O and, dividing both sides by 3/5, O= (5/3)E. What is 5/3 of 5 1/2 hours?

Last edited by a moderator:
HallsofIvy said:
Joppy did this problem assuming you meant \(\displaystyle s= \frac{u+ v}{2t}\). [/math]

Ha! Whoops. I thought something seemed strange there, it's been awhile since I've dealt with these expressions. Thanks HallsofIvy, and apologies to the OP if any confusion was caused :).

Blast! I started off saying "Let "A" be the time for an express train, "B" the time for an ordinary train." but then switched to "E" and "O"!

I meant to say: If "the express train takes only 3/5 of the time an ordinary train takes" then A= (3/5)B and, dividing both sides by 3/5, B= (5/3)A. What is 5/3 of 5 1/2 hours?

Thanks for all your help guys. Got the train equation down pat. Not sure how I didn't understand that in the first place. Still have no idea what I am doing with question 1. (Not your fault Joppy, just really suck at maths) haha. How would I go about setting that question out? I find when I see the answer in front of me it is easy to find how we got to that solution but still struggle when it is looming around unanswered. I have given it another go and spoken to a lecturer who politely told me I was wrong in my final answer..

Related to Why Do Physics Equations Confuse Me So Much?

1. What does "going straight over my head" mean in this context?

"Going straight over my head" is a figurative expression that means the information or concept being discussed is difficult to understand or comprehend. It is often used when someone is struggling to grasp a complex or unfamiliar topic.

2. How can I better understand the information that is going over my head?

One way to better understand complex information is to break it down into smaller, more manageable parts. Try taking notes, asking questions, and seeking out additional resources to help clarify the topic. It may also be helpful to discuss the information with others who have a better understanding of the subject.

3. Is it common to feel like information is going over my head?

Yes, it is completely normal to feel like information is going over your head at times. Complex concepts or new information can be challenging to grasp, and it is important to remember that everyone learns at their own pace. It is okay to ask for clarification or take more time to understand a topic.

4. What can I do if I am struggling to understand a particular topic?

If you are struggling to understand a specific topic, there are several things you can do. First, try approaching the topic from a different angle or using different learning methods, such as videos, diagrams, or hands-on activities. If you are still struggling, consider reaching out to a teacher, tutor, or mentor for additional support and guidance.

5. How can I prevent information from going over my head in the future?

To prevent information from going over your head in the future, try to develop good study habits, such as actively engaging with the material, taking notes, and seeking out additional resources or explanations if needed. It may also be helpful to regularly review and practice previous concepts to build a strong foundation of knowledge.