Why do proton and neutron form isospin doublet? I3 or I?

In summary, protons and neutrons are considered isospin doublets because they have similar properties and are part of the same fundamental group of particles known as baryons. The "I" in isospin doublet stands for isospin, a quantum number that describes the symmetry between the two particles. This symmetry is related to the third component of isospin, which determines the orientation of the particle's isospin in space. Isospin doublets are used in nuclear physics because they simplify the mathematical description of particles with similar properties, making it easier to analyze and predict their behavior in the atomic nucleus. By treating protons and neutrons as isospin doublets, we can better understand the strong nuclear force
binbagsss
As far as I understand, ##I_{3}##, the component of isospin in a certain direction is additive,

but ##I## is to be treated as a vector sum, is this correct?

So, ##I_{3}=1/2## for ##u## quark,
##I_{3}=-1/2 ## for ##d## quark.

Adding ##I_{3}## then for a proton we find ##I_{3}=1/2##
and for a neutron ##I_{3}=-1/2##

Is it from this that we conclude both the proton and neutron form a isospin doublet with ##I=1/2##?

What is the formulae for ##I##? I read somewhere that ##I## is greater than or equal to ##I_{3}##,
So is ##I= |I_{3}| + |I_{2}| + |I_{1}|## ? But if this is the reasoning for the doublet, what about ##I_{2}, I_{1}##?

On instead should the approach be a vector sum of the isospin of the quarks. So both the down and up quarks have ##I=1/2##,

So doing a vector sum of the three quarks gives the three possible values: ##3/2,1/2,1/2##,

So why then, for the doublet would you take the ##1/2## and not ##3/2##. Is there an observation side to this?Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
binbagsss said:
As far as I understand, ##I_{3}##, the component of isospin in a certain direction is additive,

but ##I## is to be treated as a vector sum, is this correct?

So, ##I_{3}=1/2## for ##u## quark,
##I_{3}=-1/2 ## for ##d## quark.

Adding ##I_{3}## then for a proton we find ##I_{3}=1/2##
and for a neutron ##I_{3}=-1/2##

Is it from this that we conclude both the proton and neutron form a isospin doublet with ##I=1/2##?

No, this only tells us that they are either a part of the 3/2 isospin quadruplet or of the isospin 1/2 doublet.

What is the formulae for ##I##? I read somewhere that ##I## is greater than or equal to ##I_{3}##,
So is ##I= |I_{3}| + |I_{2}| + |I_{1}|## ? But if this is the reasoning for the doublet, what about ##I_{2}, I_{1}##?

The mathematics of isospin are equivalent to that of spin, as both are based on an SU(2) symmetry.

On instead should the approach be a vector sum of the isospin of the quarks. So both the down and up quarks have ##I=1/2##,

The correct thing to say here is that the u and d quark together form an isospin doublet, i.e., I = 1/2, where I3(u) = +1/2 and I3(d) = -1/2, much in the same way that a spin 1/2 particle can be in a spin up or spin down state.

So doing a vector sum of the three quarks gives the three possible values: ##3/2,1/2,1/2##,

So why then, for the doublet would you take the ##1/2## and not ##3/2##. Is there an observation side to this?

It is not a matter of "taking". Both the quadruplet and doublet states exist. The quadruplet isospin state is fully symmetric, which means you need to anti-symmetrise your state in some other way (the quarks are fermions after all), ultimately leading to a larger mass for the quadruplet. (The quadruplet are the ##\Delta(1232)## resonances.)

Orodruin said:
No, this only tells us that they are either a part of the 3/2 isospin quadruplet or of the isospin 1/2 doublet

Sorry could you expand here more? So once ##I_{2}, I_{3}## are taken into account?

The definition of a doublet, quadruplet etc. is particles with the same ##I## but different ##I_{3}##, is this correct?
Orodruin said:
The mathematics of isospin are equivalent to that of spin, as both are based on an SU(2) symmetry.

I know that ##S=S_{1}+S_{2}+S_{3}##, this is in operator form. But I can't think how this explains the statement that if ##S_{3} =1## , ##S## is greater than or equal to ##1##.
Orodruin said:
The correct thing to say here is that the u and d quark together form an isospin doublet, i.e., I = 1/2, where I3(u) = +1/2 and I3(d) = -1/2, much in the same way that a spin 1/2 particle can be in a spin up or spin down state.

So the up and down quark form a doublet, whereas a proton and neutron can form either a ##I=1/2## doublet or are part of the ##3/2## quadruplet?

binbagsss said:
The definition of a doublet, quadruplet etc. is particles with the same II but different I3I_{3}, is this correct?
The isospin multiplets are collections of ##2I+1## particles, one for each of the ##2I+1## possible third component values.

binbagsss said:

I know that ##S=S_{1}+S_{2}+S_{3}##, this is in operator form. But I can't think how this explains the statement that if ##S_{3} =1## , ##S## is greater than or equal to ##1##.

This is not true. What is true is ##S^2 = S_1^2+S_2^2+S_3^2##. S is the total spin, not the sum of the components in each direction. Alternatively, you need to write it as a vector.

The representation ##\ell## of SU(2) is a ##2\ell+1##-plet. The maximal value of the third component is ##m = \ell##, which means that if the representation contains a state with third component m, then ##\ell \geq m##.

binbagsss said:
So the up and down quark form a doublet, whereas a proton and neutron can form either a ##I=1/2## doublet or are part of the ##3/2## quadruplet?
No, the proton and neutron are the two states of a doublet. The quadruplet made out of three up-down doublets are the delta resonances. These are different particles.

Related to Why do proton and neutron form isospin doublet? I3 or I?

1. Why are proton and neutron considered isospin doublets?

Protons and neutrons are considered isospin doublets because they have similar properties and are part of the same fundamental group of particles known as baryons. They both have a spin of ½ and are made up of the same quarks (two up quarks and one down quark). This similarity allows them to be described by the same mathematical framework of isospin.

2. What is the significance of the "I" in isospin doublet?

The "I" in isospin doublet stands for isospin, which is a quantum number that describes the symmetry between the proton and neutron. It is analogous to spin, which describes the symmetry between particles with half-integer spin. Isospin is important because it helps us understand the strong nuclear force that binds protons and neutrons together in the atomic nucleus.

3. How is the isospin quantum number (I) related to the third component (I3) of isospin?

The isospin quantum number (I) represents the total symmetry between particles in an isospin multiplet, while the third component (I3) represents the direction of this symmetry on a three-dimensional coordinate system. In other words, I3 determines the orientation of the particle's isospin in space.

4. Why is isospin doublet used in nuclear physics?

Isospin doublet is used in nuclear physics because it simplifies the mathematical description of particles with similar properties. By treating protons and neutrons as isospin doublets, we can use the same equations to describe their behavior in nuclear reactions and interactions. This makes it easier to analyze and predict the behavior of particles in the atomic nucleus.

5. How does isospin symmetry help us understand the behavior of protons and neutrons in the atomic nucleus?

Isospin symmetry is a fundamental symmetry between protons and neutrons that helps us understand the strong nuclear force that binds them together in the atomic nucleus. By treating them as isospin doublets, we can use the same mathematical framework to describe their interactions and predict their behavior. This allows us to better understand the structure and stability of the atomic nucleus.