Why Do Substances in Their Elemental State Have Zero Enthalpy of Formation?

In summary: But if you break the bond in the first place, you have used energy.Certainly --- and ΔH for such a process is zero. However, what would I accomplish by breaking the bond in the first place?You would obtain energy.
gracy
substances in their elemental state have enthalpies of formation equal to zero,why?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Convention. There has to be an agreed upon zero, and this is as good as any.

Bystander said:
Convention. There has to be an agreed upon zero, and this is as good as any.
so no reason or concept behind this?

The "concept" is that measurements have to be made relative to some reference point, or "zero." "How far is Omaha?" "7." "7 what from where?"

It is not some sort of convention.
It is just that elements are not formed, they exist like they are. That's it.
You don't form an element, element just exists.

Anyway, it's important to say that you are referring to elements in their standard state. For example, carbon is at standard state in form of graphite. Carbon as diamond has a ΔΗ of formation that's not 0.

cseil said:
It is not some sort of convention.

Yes it is.

It is just that elements are not formed, they exist like they are. That's it.
You don't form an element, element just exists.

That doesn't make their standard enthalpy zero. That's just our choice.

I am sorry but isn't standard enthalpy of formation defined as the change of enthalpy that comes from the formation of 1 mol of the compound from its elements at the most stable state at 1 atm?

CO2 is formed by C + O2: they are its elementary components, for example. How do you form O2 from its constituent elements if the costituent element at the most stable form is O2?

cseil said:
How do you form O2 from its constituent elements if the costituent element at the most stable form is O2?
You take one mole of O2 and turn it into one mole of O2.

Bystander said:
You take one mole of O2 and turn it into one mole of O2.

If you break the bonds between the two atoms, of course it takes energy.
But don't you obtain the same energy again when the two bonds are formed again?

cseil said:
I am sorry but isn't standard enthalpy of formation defined as the change of enthalpy that comes from the formation of 1 mol of the compound from its elements at the most stable state at 1 atm?

As you have stated - it is DEFINED to be that. We could define it differently. Definition selects a reference point.

cseil said:
But don't you obtain the same energy again when the two bonds are formed again?
Certainly --- and ΔH for such a process is zero. However, what would I accomplish by breaking the bond in the first place? The mole of O2 doesn't need its bonds broken before I use it in whatever process I have in mind --- it's the zero point from which all measurements are made.

Related to Why Do Substances in Their Elemental State Have Zero Enthalpy of Formation?

1. What is the standard enthalpy of formation?

The standard enthalpy of formation, also known as the heat of formation, is the change in enthalpy that occurs when one mole of a compound is formed from its constituent elements in their standard states at a given temperature and pressure.

2. How is the standard enthalpy of formation measured?

The standard enthalpy of formation is measured using calorimetry, which involves measuring the heat released or absorbed during a chemical reaction at constant pressure.

3. What is the significance of the standard enthalpy of formation?

The standard enthalpy of formation is a key thermodynamic property that helps determine the stability and energy content of a compound. It is also used to calculate the standard enthalpy of reaction for a given chemical reaction.

4. What is the difference between standard enthalpy of formation and standard enthalpy of combustion?

The standard enthalpy of formation is the change in enthalpy when a compound is formed from its constituent elements, while the standard enthalpy of combustion is the change in enthalpy when one mole of a compound is completely burned in excess oxygen to form carbon dioxide and water.

5. How does temperature and pressure affect the standard enthalpy of formation?

The standard enthalpy of formation is dependent on the temperature and pressure at which it is measured. As temperature and pressure increase, the standard enthalpy of formation may change due to changes in the energy content of the elements and compounds involved.