Why Do Sugar Particles Deflect When Sifting?

In summary, the conversation discusses a bonus question about why sugar particles deflect when sifted rigorously. The participants consider possible explanations, such as hair tangles and static electricity, but do not have a clear answer.
smither777
Hi,
I was given a bonus question, but I really can't find the physics reason behind it. The question was: Why do sugar particles, when sifting rigorously deflect? and we were given a hint - similar to hair tangles..

Can somebody please help me? Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the context? Do you have any other information? It is all quite vague.

Just a rough guess, because I don't know the technical aspect of it, but it sounds as if you're referring to a build-up of electrostatic charges that would repel the crystals from each other.

yes, i was kind of thinking it had something to do perhaps with static electricity

thanks a bunch, i think i got it :D

Related to Why Do Sugar Particles Deflect When Sifting?

1. How do you sift sugar particles?

To sift sugar particles, you will need a fine mesh strainer or sieve. Simply pour the sugar into the strainer and gently shake or tap it over a bowl or container. This will allow the smaller particles to pass through the mesh while larger particles will remain in the strainer.

2. Why is it necessary to sift sugar particles?

Sifting sugar particles helps to remove any clumps or lumps that may have formed during storage. It also helps to evenly distribute the sugar and make it easier to measure and incorporate into recipes.

3. Can I use any type of sieve or strainer for sifting sugar particles?

It is recommended to use a fine mesh strainer or sieve specifically designed for sifting dry ingredients. This will ensure that the sugar particles are sifted evenly and without any clumps remaining.

4. How do I know when the sugar particles are sifted enough?

You can tell when the sugar particles are sifted enough when there are no more large clumps left in the strainer and the sugar in the bowl or container is smooth and free of lumps. You can also gently run your fingers through the sugar to check for any remaining clumps.

5. Can I reuse the sugar particles that are left in the strainer?

Yes, you can reuse the sugar particles left in the strainer by simply sifting them again. This will help to break up any remaining clumps and ensure that all of the sugar particles are evenly sifted.