Why Do Sweaters Shrink When Washed, But Sheep Don't When Caught in the Rain?

• Thread starter daveed
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rain
In summary, sweaters shrink when washed because the fibers in the fabric are stretched out during manufacturing and can easily relax and shrink when exposed to heat and moisture. Sheep, on the other hand, have a natural oil called lanolin on their wool, which helps keep the fibers water-resistant and prevents them from tangling and shrinking when exposed to rain. Additionally, the way the wool is arranged on a sheep's body allows for only inward shrinking, while sweaters can shrink in all directions due to their woven construction. The exact mechanism of how moisture and heat affect the wool fibers is still unclear and requires further investigation.
daveed
how come sweaters shrink when you wash them, but sheep don't when they get caught in the rain

my ap bio teacher asked us that in class, and nobody had an answer

:confused:

Biology news on Phys.org
daveed said:
how come sweaters shrink when you wash them, but sheep don't when they get caught in the rain

my ap bio teacher asked us that in class, and nobody had an answer

:confused:

:smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:

That is hilarious!

I'm thinking...

EDIT: Sounds good to me Moonbear. That's exactly what I was about to say. :biggrin:

Last edited:
Lanolin and the mysterious non-shrinking wool

daveed said:
As Moonbear's article says, part of the reason is the oil in the sheep's wool:

• Main Entry: lan·o·lin
    Pronunciation: 'lanølðn
    Variant: also lan·o·line \", -øl,En\
    Function: noun
    Inflected Form: -s
    Etymology: International Scientific Vocabulary lan- + -ol + -in, -ine; originally formed as German lanolin

: wool grease refined for use chiefly in ointments and cosmetics: a : a yellowish sticky unctuous mass absorbable by the skin and containing incorporated water — called also hydrous wool fat b : a similar brownish yellow anhydrous mass — called also anhydrous lanolin, refined wool fat

Hand cleaner sold at auto-parts stores sometimes has lanolin in it. http://paint-and-supplies.aubuchonhardware.com/cleaners_and_thinners/hand_cleaner_and_go_jo.asp is a webpage with several examples.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lanolin is a great moisturizer!

But there is nothing worse than having to catch a soaked-through sheep ...except maybe being the soaked-through sheep. They can take days to dry off if caught in the rain long enough to get completely soaked, though the lanolin helps keep them water-resistant for a while.

Does lanolin keep the sheeps' wool or hair from tangling?

Felting is one mechanism, tension relaxation is another. During the manufacturing of wool, cotton, etc, the fibres are stretched out in the process. This is reversible and the relaxation may be speeded up by the higher temperatures in the washer.

Andre said:
Felting is one mechanism, tension relaxation is another. During the manufacturing of wool, cotton, etc, the fibres are stretched out in the process. This is reversible and the relaxation may be speeded up by the higher temperatures in the washer.

Yes, if you look closely at the wool on a sheep, it's very kinky and curly. It has been smoothed out before being used for making sweaters. Plus, the wool on a sheep isn't woven around it's body, it's sticking out from their skin in individual strands (some get tangled together, but they are still all pointing in the same direction). So, if they get wet and more curly, the fibers will only shorten inward toward the sheep's body. With a sweater, the fibers point in all directions, so if they shorten, then this makes the entire garment shrink in all directions.

I'm just thinking through this as I go along too, so I don't know whether felting or curling is more to blame. Does wool curl under the same principles as hair curls, via disulfide bridges? I'm wondering if the moisture and heat helps activate reformation of some of those bridges that may have been broken in the processing of the fibers?

Related to Why Do Sweaters Shrink When Washed, But Sheep Don't When Caught in the Rain?

1. Why don't sheep shrink when it rains?

Sheep have a unique coat of wool that is designed to keep them warm and dry in various weather conditions. The wool has natural oils and lanolin that repel water and prevent the sheep from getting wet. This, in turn, prevents the wool fibers from absorbing water and shrinking.

2. Can sheep shrink if they are soaked in water for a long time?

While it is possible for the sheep's wool to become wet and matted if they are submerged in water for a prolonged period, this is not the same as shrinking. The wool fibers will still retain their shape and size once the sheep is dry again.

3. Do other animals, besides sheep, have wool that doesn't shrink in rain?

Yes, other animals such as alpacas, llamas, and camels also have coats of wool that are water-resistant and do not shrink in rain. This is because these animals have evolved in similar environments to sheep and have developed similar adaptations to protect themselves from the weather.

4. Can sheep's wool become damaged if it gets wet in the rain?

While the wool itself may not shrink, it is still possible for it to become damaged if it gets excessively wet. Wool is a natural fiber that can weaken and break if it is exposed to prolonged moisture. This is why sheep seek shelter during heavy rainstorms.

5. Will sheep's wool shrink if it is washed in water?

No, sheep's wool is designed to withstand getting wet, whether it is from rain or washing. The wool fibers have a natural elasticity that allows them to stretch and return to their original shape, preventing shrinkage. However, excessive heat or agitation during the washing process can cause the wool to shrink, so it is important to follow proper care instructions for wool garments.