Why Do the Densities Cancel in the Oscillation Frequency of a Floating Cylinder?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a floating cylinder being pushed down and released, with the question of what the frequency of oscillation would be. The solution involves using a force equation for the cylinder and considering the equilibrium condition when a certain length of the cylinder is submerged. The final expression for the frequency is ω2 = gρw/lρc, which can be simplified to the correct answer by using a capital L in the denominator instead of a lowercase l. The conversation also briefly touches on Archimedes' principle and the relationship between buoyant force and weight of the fluid displaced.
ozone
ω

Homework Statement

A cylinder of diameter d floats with l of its length submerged. The total height is L. Assume no damping. At time t = 0 the cylinder is pushed down a distance B and released.

What is the frequency of oscillation?

Homework Equations

[itex] f = ω/2\pi [/itex]
[itex] Ma = F_{(bouyancy)} [/itex]
Writing this in our differential form, making proper substitutions, and noting that bouyancy is affected by the distance that our cylinder is submerged we come to.

[itex] dx^2 (M_{(cylinder)}) + x (\rho_{(water)} g Area_{(cylinder face)})= 0 [/itex]

we know that [itex]M_{(cylinder)} = V_{(cylinder)}\rho_{(cylinder)} [/itex]

hence we should have
[itex] ω^2 = (\rho_{(water)} g Area_{(cylinder face)}) / V_{cylinder}\rho_{(cylinder)} = g\rho_{(water)} / l \rho_{(cylinder)}[/itex]

however the solution in my problem set has ω^2 = g/l. Can anyone shed some light on why the densities may cancel??

Physics news on Phys.org
hi ozone! :smile:
ozone said:
[itex]g\rho_{(water)} / l \rho_{(cylinder)}[/itex]

(that's the same as g/L)

i haven't followed what you've done, but i'd guess you've used the wrong expression for the mass of the cylinder :confused:

just use a (vertical) force equation for the cylinder (at depth l + x) :wink:

the mass of the cylinder is the density of the cylinder times the area.. but the force from the water depends only on the density of water.. that is why i don't understand how the densities are canceled out.

In the denominator of your final expression for ω2, is that a small l or a capital L?

You can find an expression for the ratio of the two densities in terms of the ratio of l and L by considering the condition for equilibrium when length l of the cylinder is submerged.

But in the expression that you derived: ω2 = gρw/lρc, you should have a capital L rather than a lower case l in the denominator. Then you should be able to show that this expression reduces to the correct answer.

We never learned about fluid dynamics in my mechanics class, but I am guessing that the water displaced in equilibrium is equal to the mass of the cylinder?

ozone said:
We never learned about fluid dynamics in my mechanics class, but I am guessing that the water displaced in equilibrium is equal to the mass of the cylinder?

Yes. Archimedes Principle: Buoyant force = weight of fluid displaced

In equilibrium, Buoyant force equals the weight of the floating object.

Related to Why Do the Densities Cancel in the Oscillation Frequency of a Floating Cylinder?

1. How does a cylinder oscillate in water?

A cylinder oscillates in water due to the displacement of water molecules caused by the movement of the cylinder. As the cylinder moves back and forth, it creates waves in the water which causes the water molecules to move in a circular motion, resulting in oscillation.

2. What factors affect the oscillation of a cylinder in water?

The oscillation of a cylinder in water can be affected by several factors, including the size and shape of the cylinder, the density of the water, the viscosity of the water, and the speed at which the cylinder moves.

3. How can the oscillation of a cylinder in water be measured?

The oscillation of a cylinder in water can be measured using tools such as a stopwatch and ruler. The time it takes for the cylinder to complete one full oscillation and the distance it travels can be measured to determine the frequency and amplitude of the oscillation.

4. What is the practical application of studying cylinder oscillation in water?

The study of cylinder oscillation in water has several practical applications, including understanding the movement of ships and submarines in water, designing efficient propellers for boats, and studying the behavior of ocean currents and waves.

5. How does the density of water affect cylinder oscillation?

The density of water has a significant impact on cylinder oscillation. A higher density of water will result in a higher resistance to the movement of the cylinder, which will decrease the amplitude and frequency of the oscillation. On the other hand, a lower density of water will result in a smoother and more rapid oscillation.