Why Do the Determinants of a Matrix and Its Transpose Equal?

In summary, a determinant is a value used to determine if a square matrix is invertible. It can be found using various methods such as the cofactor expansion method or the rule of Sarrus. The determinant represents the matrix as a whole and is related to properties such as eigenvalues and solutions to linear equations. The transpose of a matrix is a new matrix created by switching the rows and columns, and the determinant of a matrix is equal to the determinant of its transpose.
Hyperreality
I've been doing revisions for my final exams, and I got stuck on the proof

det A = det A^T, determinant of A = determinant of A transpose.

How do I proof it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Use the fact that you expand a determinant by minors along any row or column.
(Unless you have to prove that fact..., it's tedious)

Another way to do it is this: If you "row reduce" a matrix to diagonal form its determinant is just the product of the numbers on the diagonal.

Conversely, if you "column reduce" (exactly the same as "row reduce" except that you use "column operations" rather than "row operations"), the determinant is still the product of the numbers on the diagonal.

But "column reducing" a matrix is exactly the same as "row reducing" its transpose.

Umm, I am actually trying to proof the general case here.

My text says, it is possible to proof the identity using the product rule

ie det(AB) = det A x det B,

Would this also help? (AB)^T = (B^T)(A^T)?

Hi, both the suggestions you've been given will work for proving general case.

Hyperreality said:
My text says, it is possible to proof the identity using the product rule

ie det(AB) = det A x det B,

Would this also help? (AB)^T = (B^T)(A^T)?

Sure, they'll help prove the identity in this third method I'll outline:

Case 1) A is not invertible. Is A^T invertible? What is the determinant of a non-invertible matrix?

Case 2) A is invertible. Prove that for any elementary matrix E, det E = det E^T. This should be fairly simple, but you'll want to consider each type of elementary matrix seperately. Now, write A as the product of elementary matrices. Apply the two equations you just gave liberally and you're done.

How do you go about proving that the determinant of a nxn matrix A is equal to the determinant of the transpose of said matrix A using Laplace's expansion?

How can you use Det(AB) =Det A x det B to help with this?

You need to to do expansion along row 1 of A because it is the same thing as the expansion along column 1 of AT. By using the theorem it should be the same answer.

Can Laplace's Expansion be used either across a row or down a column? I thought by definition it needed to be used across a row?

Since the eigenvalues of A = eigenvalues of [tex]A^{T}[/tex]
and you know that det (A) is the product of the eigenvalues of A
then det(A) = det ([tex]A^{T}[/tex])

seems the fastest way, but I don't know what you are allowed to assume

I'm sure he's not gotten to eigenvalues yet this early in the semester.

he's studying for final exams

Heheheh.. this is called the Binet's Theorem if I remember good.
I remember the proof I read was very boring and technical, and it relied on the property of the set of permutations [tex]\mathbb S_n[/tex] and the signature homomorfism.
I don't know of a simple proof that uses just the definition of determinant.
:(

It's not too hard to prove it directly from the definition. The only thing that's tricky is the notation. The definition can be expressed as

[tex]\det A=\sum_P(-1)^P A_{1,P1}\cdots A_{n,Pn}[/tex]

where the sum is over all permutations of the ordered set (1,2,...,n). The factor (-1)P is interpreted as +1 when the permutation is even, and -1 when the permutation is odd. Pk for k=1,2,...,n is interpreted as the number that k is mapped to by the permutation P.

We have

[tex]\det A^T=\sum_P(-1)^P (A^T)_{1,P1}\cdots (A^T)_{n,Pn}=\sum_P(-1)^P A_{P1,1}\cdots A_{Pn,n}[/tex]

The idea is to prove that any given term from the right-hand side of the first equation occurs exactly once on the right-hand side of the second equation. This is sufficient to prove that the sums are equal because the number of terms is the same in both.

So let's write the given term as

[tex](-1)^P A_{1,P1}\cdots A_{n,Pn}[/tex]

and let's rearrange the order of the factors in all the terms of the second equation so that the column indices appear in the same order as in the given term from the first equation. For example, if Pn=3, we rearrange the factors of the term

[tex](-1)^Q A_{Q1,1}\cdots A_{Qn,n}[/tex]

(where Q is some permutation) so that the factor we write last is AQ3,3. Note that all factors are of the form AQm,m for some m. Our rearrangement makes sure that the column index in the kth factor is Pk, and that means that the kth factor is AQPk,Pk. So each term of the right-hand side of the second equation can be expressed as

[tex](-1)^Q A_{QP1,P1}\cdots A_{QPn,Pn}[/tex]

but the sum is over all permutations, so exactly one of those terms has Q=P-1, and that term is equal to

[tex](-1)^{P^{-1}} A_{1,P1}\cdots A_{n,Pn}[/tex]

P-1 is of course even if and only P is even, so this is equal to the given term we started with, and we're done.

You can prove all of the properties (that are mentioned in an introductory text) of the determinant directly from the definition, using the notation above, but the result [itex]\det AB=\det A \det B[/itex] is of course much harder to prove than the others.

Last edited:

Related to Why Do the Determinants of a Matrix and Its Transpose Equal?

1. What is a determinant?

A determinant is a value that can be calculated for a square matrix. It represents a set of linear equations and is used to determine if the matrix is invertible or not.

2. How do you find the determinant of a matrix?

The determinant of a matrix can be found by using various methods such as the cofactor expansion method, the row reduction method, or the rule of Sarrus for 3x3 matrices.

3. What is the relationship between a matrix and its determinant?

The determinant of a matrix is a scalar value that represents the matrix as a whole. It is used to determine various properties of the matrix such as invertibility, eigenvalues, and solutions to systems of linear equations.

4. What is the transpose of a matrix?

The transpose of a matrix is a new matrix created by switching the rows and columns of the original matrix. This results in a matrix with the same dimensions as the original but with the rows and columns interchanged.

5. How is the determinant related to the transpose of a matrix?

The determinant of a matrix is equal to the determinant of its transpose. This means that if you find the determinant of a matrix, and then transpose it and find the determinant again, you will get the same value. In other words, the transpose does not change the determinant of a matrix.