Why do the Doppler effect equations yield different frequencies?

In summary, the conversation discusses the Doppler effect equation for sound and how it yields different frequencies when using raw values versus relative values. The reason for this is because the motion of the source relative to the medium is also important in determining the frequency of the sound. This is explained in the provided link, which the speaker is having trouble accessing.
Zeteg
In the doppler effect equation for sound, measuring frequency, I have the following question:

Car 1-20m/s--> Car 2-30m/s-->
--POINT A--

With the above "diagram", we have car 1 going at 20 m/s, right, and car two, 30m/s right, with respect to point A (doesn't have to be those values, just an example).

If we were to look at car 2, relative to car 1, car 2 would be moving away from car 1 at 10m/s. However, when we plug both the raw values, and the relative values into the equation, they yield a different frequency. Why is this? :|

Physics news on Phys.org
Zeteg said:
If we were to look at car 2, relative to car 1, car 2 would be moving away from car 1 at 10m/s. However, when we plug both the raw values, and the relative values into the equation, they yield a different frequency. Why is this? :|
I think you have to take into account the speed of the source relative to the medium as well as the observer. Have a look at this:
http://usna.edu/Users/physics/mungan/Scholarship/DopplerEffect.pdf

AM

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, I'm aware of that. However, why would that be different? In classic motion scenarios, it renders the same answer, does it not? Since sound isn't in any special realms of physics, why is this different?

Well, you would be hearing a different sound while you are in Car 1 and while you are on the ground, would you not?

Zeteg said:
Yes, I'm aware of that. However, why would that be different? In classic motion scenarios, it renders the same answer, does it not? Since sound isn't in any special realms of physics, why is this different?
The cite I gave you should explain it for you. Think about the case in which the car is traveling at the speed of sound. Does the sound every reach an observer at rest with respect to the medium positioned behind the car? How about in front? So the motion relative to the medium is important.

AM

Andrew Mason said:
The cite I gave you should explain it for you. Think about the case in which the car is traveling at the speed of sound. Does the sound every reach an observer at rest with respect to the medium positioned behind the car? How about in front? So the motion relative to the medium is important.

AM

The site doesn't work =(
I understand your example, I'm still wondering why that is, though. I'll try and figure it out :D

Last edited:
I have that installed, and I can read pdfs :P The link simply does not work for me =\

Zeteg said:
I have that installed, and I can read pdfs :P The link simply does not work for me =\
You must be copying it and pasting it into your browser. That won't work. You have to click it

AM

I am clicking it. I know how to operate a computer... ... =x

FAQ: Why do the Doppler effect equations yield different frequencies?

What is the Doppler Effect?

The Doppler Effect is a phenomenon in which the frequency of a wave appears to change when the source of the wave is in motion relative to the observer. This can be observed in sound, light, and other types of waves.

How does the Doppler Effect work?

The Doppler Effect occurs because when the source of a wave is in motion, it causes the wave to be compressed or stretched, changing its frequency. This change in frequency is what is perceived by the observer.

What are some examples of the Doppler Effect in everyday life?

Some examples of the Doppler Effect in everyday life include the sound of a siren changing as an ambulance or fire truck passes by, the change in pitch of a train whistle as it approaches and then passes, and the change in frequency of a car horn as a car drives past.

How is the Doppler Effect used in science and technology?

The Doppler Effect is used in various scientific and technological applications, such as weather radar to detect the speed and direction of moving storms, Doppler ultrasound to measure blood flow in the body, and Doppler lidar to measure wind speed and direction.

Can the Doppler Effect be observed in space?

Yes, the Doppler Effect can also be observed in space. Astronomers use the Doppler Effect to measure the speed and distance of celestial objects by analyzing the shift in frequency of light waves emitted by these objects.