Why do two opposing currents cancel each other out perfectly in Ampere's Law?

In summary, the conversation discusses the confusion over the cancellation of two currents at a certain distance, with one person questioning the potential difference in the magnetic field due to the difference in distance from the outside and inside currents. Another person points out a potential flaw in the logic and suggests using Ampere's law and the symmetry of the currents to understand the cancellation.
PsychonautQQ

Homework Statement

http://grephysics.net/ans/9277/9

I'm confused why these two currents cancel each other out perfectly when the distance they are being measured from is closer to the outside current than the inside current...

Like if the magnetic induction is proportional to the distance from the current,, then wouldn't the outside currents induced magnetic field be a little bit bigger than the inner currents?

edit: I just realized a potential flaw in my logic... since the outer part goes completely around the inner part,, on average both of the currents are the same distance away from the point P?

Physics news on Phys.org
PsychonautQQ said:

Homework Statement

http://grephysics.net/ans/9277/9

I'm confused why these two currents cancel each other out perfectly when the distance they are being measured from is closer to the outside current than the inside current...

Like if the magnetic induction is proportional to the distance from the current,, then wouldn't the outside currents induced magnetic field be a little bit bigger than the inner currents?

edit: I just realized a potential flaw in my logic... since the outer part goes completely around the inner part,, on average both of the currents are the same distance away from the point P?

Sort of. Just use Ampere's law and the symmetry of the currents.

Related to Why do two opposing currents cancel each other out perfectly in Ampere's Law?

1. What is a coaxial cable?

A coaxial cable is a type of cable used for transmitting signals, typically for TV or internet. It consists of a central copper wire surrounded by layers of insulation, shielding, and an outer protective jacket.

2. What is the purpose of the GRE question about coaxial cable?

The GRE question about coaxial cable is designed to test a student's understanding of basic principles of electrical transmission and signal propagation. It may also assess their ability to apply mathematical concepts to real-world scenarios.

3. How does a coaxial cable differ from other types of cables?

Unlike other types of cables, a coaxial cable has a central conductor that is surrounded by a dielectric insulator. This insulator is then surrounded by a metallic shield, and finally, an outer jacket. This design helps to reduce signal loss and interference, making coaxial cable ideal for long-distance transmission.

4. What are some common applications of coaxial cable?

Coaxial cables are commonly used for cable television, internet, and telephone services. They are also used in data networks, security systems, and for connecting audio and video equipment.

5. How can I test a coaxial cable for quality?

There are several ways to test a coaxial cable for quality, including checking for proper connections, using a multimeter to measure the cable's resistance and continuity, and using a cable tester to check for any signal loss or interference. It is also important to make sure the cable is free of any damage or wear and tear.