Why Do We Multiply by Cos(35) to Find the X-Component of Force in Physics?

• Thread starter godkills
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the question asks for the speed of a sled being pulled across smooth ice after 1.15 seconds. The force acting on the sled is 6.2 N at a 35 degree angle above horizontal. To find the velocity, we use the equation F=ma and multiply the magnitude of the force by cosine(35) to find the x-component force. Then, using the formula a=v/t and adding the initial velocity, we can find the final velocity of the sled.
godkills
A 4.6 kg is pulled across a smooth ice surface. The force acting on the sled is a magnitude 6.2 N and points in a direction 35 degrees above horizontal. If the sled starts at rest, how fast is going after being pulled 1.15s?

I know the answer but question is why do I have to multiply the magnitude/mass times cost(35)?

cos 35 is the problem why do i have to do that?

Physics news on Phys.org
since the object the the force is exerting upon is horizontal, then the forces in the x direction still use cos x to get the forces in the x direction, but sin x to get the forces in the y direction. if you draw it out with four vectors, you may understand why, but ask after you draw them if you don't understand still. Even ask if you don't know what to draw.

and i was in a hurry i have one more question

magnitude/mass finds the velocity? or what does it find?

magnitude of the force divided by the mass of the object is the acceleration, not the velocity. To find velocity is much more complex and I really don't know how to do it with just forces. You could find the kinetic energy and the potential gravitational energy to find velocity I think, or maybe motion in one dimension equations. You probably remember some of those. It's tough though. hm... Oh but then again if we know the time, then we could find velocity I think. let's think time velocity over time iis acceleration I think. let me look it up real quick. I am not completely sure if that's true. It's velocity over time is acceleration. I just looked it up. So, if you find the magnitude of the force divided by the mass of object, then you can multiply 1.15 seconds times magnitude/mass to get the velocity! :)

wut? you just stabbed me with a knife just by confusing me

okay i just figured out myself

question states how fast is it being pulled meaning the x component when it is being pulled

so you find the force of the x component which is cos(x) multiplying the force of the hypotneuse which equals to the force of x component

Now F = ma

Force/mass = Acceleration

Acceleration x time adding with initial velocity = final velocity

exactly! :D the tough thing is finding the x-component Force though.

FAQ: Why Do We Multiply by Cos(35) to Find the X-Component of Force in Physics?

1. What is the definition of simple physics?

Simple physics refers to the basic principles and laws governing the physical world and its interactions. It involves the study of fundamental concepts such as motion, force, energy, and matter.

2. What are some examples of simple physics in everyday life?

Examples of simple physics in everyday life include throwing a ball, riding a bike, boiling water, and turning on a light switch. These activities involve concepts such as gravity, friction, and energy transfer.

3. How is simple physics different from advanced physics?

Simple physics deals with the fundamental concepts and principles of physics, while advanced physics delves into more complex and specialized topics. Simple physics is often used to explain everyday phenomena, while advanced physics is used in fields such as astrophysics and quantum mechanics.

4. What are the key principles of simple physics?

The key principles of simple physics include Newton's laws of motion, the laws of thermodynamics, and the law of universal gravitation. These principles help to explain the behavior of objects in the physical world.

5. How can understanding simple physics benefit us?

Understanding simple physics can help us make sense of the world around us and make informed decisions in our daily lives. It can also lead to advancements in technology and innovation. Additionally, studying simple physics can improve critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

Back