Why do we multiply force and displacement in physics?

In summary, when a constant force of magnitude F is applied to a point that moves a displacement s in the direction of the force, the work done is equal to the product of the force and displacement. This is due to the fact that work represents the transfer or transformation of energy, and the equation for work reflects this. The concept of multiplying physical quantities to get a new quantity is also seen in real world situations, such as the number of person-hours it takes to build a wall.
Atomic_Sheep
Wikipedia says:

The work done by a constant force of magnitude F on a point that moves a displacement (not distance) s in the direction of the force is the product

{\displaystyle W=Fs}[PLAIN]https://wikimedia.org/api/rest_v1/media/math/render/svg/b020230128c115d1b9e9cfbe6636985e98bbaf69.
The question is this...

What's the intuition behind multiplying force by displacement? You learn multiplication tables etc but then you start getting into multiplying abstract things like force and displacement? Why does multiplying these things work?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Atomic_Sheep said:
Wikipedia says:

The work done by a constant force of magnitude F on a point that moves a displacement (not distance) s in the direction of the force is the product

{\displaystyle W=Fs}[PLAIN]https://wikimedia.org/api/rest_v1/media/math/render/svg/b020230128c115d1b9e9cfbe6636985e98bbaf69.
The question is this...

What's the intuition behind multiplying force by displacement? You learn multiplication tables etc but then you start getting into multiplying abstract things like force and displacement? Why does multiplying these things work?

In Physics, there are scalar and vector physical quantities. Beginning from fundamental quantities (time, distance, mass etc.), we derive more complex ones.

To have an intuition about work, you must ask yourself what does this quantity represent. It expresses transfer of energy or transformation of energy from one form to another. So, it has units of energy (Joule in S.I). The equation of work ##W = F\cdot s\cdot cosa## or ##W =F\cdot s## for the case that force has the direction of motion, expresses such energy.

Atomic_Sheep said:
Wikipedia says:

The question is this...

In what way are force and displacement abstract? Surely these are very real things from the physical world?

Is your question something like "Why is mathematics able to describe physical phenomena?"

Force and displacement follow the rules of multiplication when calculating work. For example, if you double the force, you double the work. If you double the force, and triple the displacement, you have 6 times as much work, and so on.

This was an unexpected application of multiplication tables. Multiplication's original purpose was a shortcut to adding like things. (Whenever you add physical quantities they must all be the same quantity.) When you multiply them, however, it turns out they don't have to be.

Likes gmax137
QuantumQuest said:
In Physics, there are scalar and vector physical quantities. Beginning from fundamental quantities (time, distance, mass etc.), we derive more complex ones.

Reading about this... very interesting. Exactly the info that I was looking for.

PeroK said:
In what way are force and displacement abstract? Surely these are very real things from the physical world?

If you're counting apples... 2 apples per bag x 1 bag... = 2 apples or 1 bag. How can you multiply a bag by an apple? You've got abstract things like bags apples force displacement. Then if you multiply 2 apples by 1 bag you get 2 apples or 1 bag, so 1x2 = 2 and 1. Perhaps very broken logic but just my interpretation of it.

Chestermiller said:
Is your question something like "Why is mathematics able to describe physical phenomena?"

I haven't thought about it that way.

David Lewis said:
Force and displacement follow the rules of multiplication when calculating work. For example, if you double the force, you double the work. If you double the force, and triple the displacement, you have 6 times as much work, and so on.

This was an unexpected application of multiplication tables. Multiplication's original purpose was a shortcut to adding like things. (Whenever you add physical quantities they must all be the same quantity.) When you multiply them, however, it turns out they don't have to be.

Yep, this is partly what is bugging me, why do the things you multiply not have to be the same. I guess I just need to accept this fact and move on.

Atomic_Sheep said:
Yep, this is partly what is bugging me, why do the things you multiply not have to be the same. I guess I just need to accept this fact and move on.

What is apple x apple? Or, Force x Force?

You say you have to accept this fact as though it was something really odd. But, to take division, if you have £50, you can divide that between 5 people and they get £10 each. Why is that something abstract that you just have to accept?

When you multiply, the physical quantities also multiply (not just the numbers). For example, length x length = area. The product is a new physical quantity.

Likes Atomic_Sheep
David Lewis said:
... if you double the force, you double the work. If you double the force, and triple the displacement, you have 6 times as much work, and so on...

This is the important point. If you don't feel it intuitively, think about carrying a sack of concrete up the stairs. If you have to go up two floors, that's "twice as hard" as going up one floor. Or, carrying two sacks is "twice as hard" as carrying one sack. The physics definitions of work idealize the situation and remove the effects of human anatomy, but the idea is the same. This means WORK is proportional to both force and distance. Mathematically, you multiply them together. This produces "funny units" like Newton-meters or foot-pounds. What do these mean? They mean two flights of stairs is twice the work of one flight. Or, two flights with a 50 pound sack is the same as one flight with a 100 pound sack.

Atomic_Sheep said:
Multiplying different quantities together to get a new quantity that describes a new idea is very common in physics but is also encountered in the "real" world. When one says that it takes 12 person-hours to build a wall, the meaning is clear: the wall can be built by 1 person in 12 hours or by 3 persons in 4 hours, etc.. Clearly, a person-hour is a separate unit from a unit of humanity (person) and from a unit of time (hour).

PeroK said:
What is apple x apple? Or, Force x Force?

Well if you have 5 apples and another 5 apples and you multiply them, then you have 10 apples + 15 magically created apples :), I'm not trolling I promise.

So what do you get when you multiply apples by apples or force by force... good question... no idea. I guess what kuruman said...

kuruman said:
Multiplying different quantities together to get a new quantity that describes a new idea is very common in physics but is also encountered in the "real" world.

We should get a new quantity, although in this case we're multiplying like with like so perhaps not. hmm...

if you have a force of 1N and another one 1N, if you add them you get 2N but if you multiply you get 1N
if you have a force of 2N and another one of 2N, if you add them, you get 4N and if you multiply them you get 4N
if you have a force of 3N and another one of 3N, if you add them, you get 6N and if you multiply them you get 9N

So to me it seems like these operations can't be compared directly. If you have these forces as vectors, the addition makes sense, the vectors simply add up and the forces become larger. However if you multiply, you get mixed results... at 1N, you have less force than if you added them, at 2N, they are equal to addition, at 3N and above, multiplication appears to create magical forces out of nowhere and in the case of 1N you actually get no extra force and appear to lose 1N. Same as the apple example above.

Atomic_Sheep said:
We should get a new quantity, although in this case we're multiplying like with like so perhaps not.
If you multiply meters with meters to compute an area, you get square meters, which is a different unit.

What might be confusing in the discrete case: If you multiply apples with apples to compute the number of apples arranged in a rectangular grid, you still get apples. That's because what you actually do here is to multiply apples/row with rows.

Atomic_Sheep said:
...We should get a new quantity, although in this case we're multiplying like with like so perhaps not. hmm...

if you have a force of 1N and another one 1N, if you add them you get 2N but if you multiply you get 1N
if you have a force of 2N and another one of 2N, if you add them, you get 4N and if you multiply them you get 4N
if you have a force of 3N and another one of 3N, if you add them, you get 6N and if you multiply them you get 9N

No no no!

If you have a force of 1N and another one 1N, if you multiply you get 1*1*N*N or ##1N^2##

The units get multiplied just like the values.

Now, ##Newton^2## doesn't make a lot of sense, and you probably wouldn't see multiplication of force like that. But ##meter^2## (area) is common, as is Newton*meter(work or energy) and any number of other compound unit parameters (man*hours, ##ft/sec##, or even ##Btu/hr~ft^2##)

FAQ: Why do we multiply force and displacement in physics?

1. What is the relationship between physics and math?

Physics and math are closely related as physics uses mathematical concepts to describe and understand the physical world. Math provides the tools and language for physicists to formulate and solve problems, while physics provides real-world applications for mathematical concepts.

2. How are physics and math used in real life?

Physics and math are used in various fields such as engineering, medicine, economics, and technology. For example, physics is used to design buildings, bridges, and other structures, while math is used in financial analysis and predicting stock market trends.

3. What are some examples of physics and math working together?

One example is the use of calculus in physics to understand the motion of objects, as well as the use of vectors in physics to describe the direction and magnitude of forces. Another example is the use of differential equations in physics to model and predict complex systems.

4. How can I improve my understanding of physics and math?

To improve your understanding of physics and math, practice solving problems and working through equations. It may also be helpful to seek out additional resources such as textbooks, online tutorials, or study groups. Additionally, try to make connections between different concepts and their real-world applications.

5. Are there any career opportunities in the field of physics and math?

Yes, there are many career opportunities in the field of physics and math, such as research and development, data analysis, and teaching. These skills are also highly sought after in industries such as finance, engineering, and technology.