Why do we need to find generalized eigenvectors for Jordan Normal Form?

• Thread starter Maybe_Memorie
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Basis
In summary, when working with Jordan Normal Form, we use the characteristic polynomial to find the eigenvalues of a matrix. For each eigenvalue, we find the matrix B and use the formula rk(B) + dimKer(B) = n to find the dimension of the kernel. If the dimension of the kernel is not equal to 0, we find a third vector to complete the basis in which the matrix is in Jordan Normal Form. This process may vary depending on the specific case.
Maybe_Memorie

Homework Statement

Right, I know how to do questions on Jordan Normal Form and find a basis, but there is one part I don't understand.

Let's take for example this matrix, call it A.

\begin{bmatrix}
-3 & 1 & 0 \\
-1 & -1 & 0 \\
-1 & -2 & 1
\end{bmatrix}

We find the characteristic polynomial of A using
det(A-tI) = 0, where I is the identity matrix.

The roots of this equation are our eigenvalues, let's call them [itex]\lambda_{1}[/itex] and [itex]\lambda_{2}[/itex]

For each one we find A-[itex]\lambda[/itex]I.
Call this matrix B.

We find rk(B), and using the formula rk(B) + dimKer(B) = n, where n is the dimension of our vector space, find dimKer(B).

We find B2, B3, ..., Bk-1, Bk
until rk(Bk-1) = rk(Bk)

We then have to find the vector(s) that spans the kernel of Bk-1 and the first part of our basis is given by a vector which isn't in the kernel. This tends to change depending on various cases which we're working on.
Example, if rk(B) =/= rk(B2) = 0 then we find the vectors that span the kernel of
B2, bring it to reduced column echelon form and the vector we choose for part of our basis is the vector which makes up for the "missing leading one".

The last paragraph is basically what I don't understand.
Could someone please explain why this is done? (in general, not for any particular case) :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
You are talking very generally. For this particular matrix, the eigenvalues are 1 and -2, with -2 being a "double" eigenvalue- the characteristic equation is [itex](\lambda- 1)(\lambda+ 2)^2= 0[/itex]. The space of all eigenvectors corresponding to the eigenvalue 1 is, of course, of dimension 1 and it is fairly easy to find a basis vector for that space.

However, it turns out that the dimension of the eigenspace for eigenvalue -2 is also one, leaving us one eigenvector short. If there were two independent eigenvectors, then, using those three eigenvectors as basis, we could diagonalize the matrix. What we can do is look for a "generalized eigenvector". Every matrix satisfies its own characteristic equation so we must have (A- I)(A+ 2I)^2v= 0. Of course, if Av= v, that is, if v is an eigenvector corresponding to eigenvalue 1, that is satisfied. Further, the exist a space of eigenvectors corresponding to eigenvalue -2, so that (A+ 2I)v= 0 for those vectors. But there exist other vectors for which neither of those is true. For those vectors we must have (A+2I)[(A+2I)v]= 0. That means that (A+ 2I)v is an eigenvector corresponding to eigenvalue -2. That is, to find a third vector, forming a basis in which the matrix is not diagonal but in "Jordan Normal Form", find a vector, x, satisfying (A+ 2I)x= v with v an eigenvector corresponding to eigenvalue -2.

Related to Why do we need to find generalized eigenvectors for Jordan Normal Form?

What is a Jordan Normal/Canonical basis?

A Jordan Normal/Canonical basis is a set of linearly independent vectors that can be used to represent a linear transformation in a matrix form. The transformation matrix for a Jordan Normal/Canonical basis has a specific structure that makes it easier to perform calculations and analyze the properties of the transformation.

How is a Jordan Normal/Canonical basis different from a standard basis?

A standard basis is a set of vectors that are used to represent a vector space in its most basic form. In contrast, a Jordan Normal/Canonical basis is specifically designed to represent a linear transformation and has a different structure for its transformation matrix.

What are the advantages of using a Jordan Normal/Canonical basis?

A Jordan Normal/Canonical basis has several advantages, including simplifying calculations and allowing for easier analysis of the properties of a linear transformation. It also allows for the identification of eigenvalues and eigenvectors, which can be used to solve systems of linear equations.

How do you find a Jordan Normal/Canonical basis?

To find a Jordan Normal/Canonical basis, you first need to find the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of a given linear transformation. Then, using these eigenvectors, you can construct a transformation matrix in Jordan Normal/Canonical form. Finally, the eigenvectors and other basis vectors can be combined to form a complete Jordan Normal/Canonical basis.

When is a Jordan Normal/Canonical basis useful?

A Jordan Normal/Canonical basis is useful whenever you need to analyze or perform calculations on a linear transformation. It is especially helpful in solving systems of linear equations and studying the properties of a transformation matrix, such as its diagonalizability and eigenvalues.