Why Do We Wear Seat Belts Experiment Help

• Thread starter BoggyP
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Experiment
In summary: In summary, the experiment was to see if wearing a seatbelt changes the force when crashing into something, and it did. There was a force diagram that was tricky to read, but it seems like there is a force acting on the driver no matter what.
BoggyP

Homework Statement

Ok so we did an experiment in class.
We took a wooden board, and put it on an incline. We put a car on top of the board with a man made of play-doh. We put a barrier on the board so that the car would crash and the man would fall off. This has to do with the topic "why do we wear seat belts?" I did the experiment and most of the write up but I'm not sure about a few small things.
1) Free body diagrams on the passenger before & during the collision.
2) Makes curve of best fit on our graphs.

2. The attempt at a solution

1) For before the collision I know the gravity and normal force were i believe equal, since he was sitting on the car. I think that's all but not sure.
For during the collision the apparent force > friction force? and gravity > normal? I think it's true because gravity pulls you back down and the friction you get when flying though air is very small.

2)
http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2443143040103984762poFErA
http://thumb2.webshots.net/t/50/750/6/5/40/2220605400103984762TULVjX_th.jpg
Well I have to plot distance down the ramp vs. distance the man went before he stopped & Distance vs. Speed of the car (based on ticker taping).

3. Important Facts

The car was like a brick with wheels a man made of play-doh sat on the top near the front.

Thanks,
BoggyP

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The force diagram is a bit tricky.
Without a seatbelt there is no force acting on the driver, he/she continues in a state of uniform motion until his/her head hits the windscreen!

What are you plotting to fit a straight line to ?

mgb_phys said:
The force diagram is a bit tricky.
Without a seatbelt there is no force acting on the driver, he/she continues in a state of uniform motion until his/her head hits the windscreen!

The car we used was flat so during the crash in the air, there are no forces? What about when he hits the ground & roles (since he isn't human). I think he means in the air, but I already sent my teacher an email asking which, I'm waiting for him to get back to me.

I uploaded the graphs which should help and I made lines on the computer of an estimate but not sure.
also correction *curve* of best fit.

Last edited by a moderator:

FAQ: Why Do We Wear Seat Belts Experiment Help

1. Why is it important to wear seat belts?

Wearing seat belts is important for several reasons. Firstly, they greatly reduce the risk of injury or death in the event of a car accident. Seat belts also help to keep drivers and passengers in their seats, preventing them from being thrown around the vehicle. Additionally, seat belts distribute the force of impact across the strongest parts of the body, reducing the risk of serious injuries.

2. How do seat belts work?

Seat belts work by restraining the movement of the body during a sudden stop or impact. They are designed to be worn across the pelvis and chest, which are the strongest parts of the body. In the event of a crash, the seat belt will stretch slightly to slow down the body's movement and prevent it from hitting the interior of the vehicle or being ejected from the car.

3. Are there any exceptions to wearing seat belts?

In most places, it is a legal requirement for all occupants of a vehicle to wear seat belts. However, there are some exceptions, such as people with medical conditions that make wearing a seat belt difficult or uncomfortable. In these cases, a doctor's note may be required. Some vehicles, such as buses and large trucks, may also have different seat belt laws.

4. Do seat belts really make a difference in preventing injuries?

Yes, seat belts have been proven to greatly reduce the risk of injury or death in car accidents. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, seat belts reduce the risk of death by 45% and the risk of serious injury by 50%. In fact, wearing a seat belt is one of the most effective ways to protect yourself in a car crash.

5. Can seat belts be harmful in any way?

Wearing a seat belt may cause minor discomfort or bruising in some cases, but this is a small price to pay for the protection it provides. Some people may also argue that seat belts restrict their movement and make them feel uncomfortable, but it is important to remember that seat belts are designed to save lives and prevent serious injuries. It is always better to be safe than sorry and wear a seat belt while driving or riding in a car.

Back