Why Does a Battery's EMF Seem Constant Over Time?

In summary, the EMF in circuits with a battery as the source of DC is typically considered constant over time, although in reality it is a decreasing function. This is a simplification that may work for theoretical purposes, but may not be accurate for circuit design. Additionally, AC voltage in residential settings can vary significantly, while its frequency remains consistent. AC current involves a back-and-forth movement of electrons, and is advantageous for transforming high voltage with fewer losses in transmission. The use of alternating current is achieved through a generator converting circular motion between magnets and coils into alternating current.
Hunt_
just a simple question, why is it that in almost all circuits where a battery is the source of DC , the EMF is considered to be constant over time while in reality is it not ? The EMF is a decreasing function w.r.t time considering the battery is operating.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's just a simplification that works for many purposes. It definitely does not work if you are doing the circuit design, though...

Welcome to the PF, BTW.

Also, residential AC voltage commonly varies some 20 volts (~6%) in most of the US depending on demand (not to mention fluctuations due to surges). What one can count on with the former is the accuracy of frequency.

Thanks to both of you.

berkeman, so I understand that this is for purely theoretical purposes. I ask because my purpose is building a battery and then testing it in a simple circuit. So the more accurate results, the better.

Loren Booda, now that you've mentioned AC , I am curious about its multi-direction flow of electrons. I have read that somewhere, and I think it means electrons move forward or backward unlike in DC ciruits where electrons flow in one direction , correct ? If this is so , why does it occur ?

Thanks,

Alternating current may be understood more accurately as an electric field alternating, i. e., moving back and forth, through a wire - although the alternating electron (particle) picture is mostly correct. The main advantage with AC is that it may be transformed down from high voltage, having fewer losses in transmission. The generator which creates AC inherently converts relatively circular motion between magnets and coils into alternating current.

Related to Why Does a Battery's EMF Seem Constant Over Time?

1. What is EMF and how does it relate to batteries?

EMF stands for electromotive force, which is the potential difference or voltage generated by a battery. It is the driving force that causes electrons to flow from the negative terminal to the positive terminal of a battery, creating an electric current.

2. Why does a battery's EMF seem constant over time?

A battery's EMF remains constant over time because it is determined by the chemical reactions happening within the battery. As long as the chemical components of the battery remain unchanged, the EMF will also stay constant.

3. Can a battery's EMF decrease over time?

Yes, a battery's EMF can decrease over time due to a variety of factors such as internal resistance, temperature changes, and depletion of the battery's chemical components. This is why batteries eventually lose their ability to hold a charge and need to be replaced.

4. Is a battery's EMF affected by its age?

Yes, a battery's EMF can be affected by its age. As a battery ages, its chemical components may become depleted or degraded, causing a decrease in its EMF. This is why older batteries may not hold a charge as well as newer batteries.

5. Is the EMF of a battery the same for all types of batteries?

No, the EMF of a battery can vary depending on its chemistry and construction. Different types of batteries, such as alkaline, lithium-ion, and lead-acid, have different EMFs due to their unique chemical reactions and materials used.