Why Does a Functional Depend on the Curve and Its Derivative?

• Thread starter "Don't panic!"
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Functionals
In summary, the conversation discusses the definition of a functional as an integral over an interval, where the integrand is dependent on the function and its derivatives. The reason for this is that the functional takes into account the entire curve and its rate of change in the interval, rather than just its value at a single point. The set of all functions satisfying certain conditions is mapped to the real numbers.
"Don't panic!"
First of all, apologies if this isn't quite in the right section.

I've been studying functionals, in particular pertaining to variational calculus. My query relates to defining a functional as an integral over some interval [itex]x\in [a,b][/itex] in the following manner [tex]I[y]= \int_{a}^{b} F\left(x, y(x), y'(x)\right)dx [/tex]
Clearly from this we see that [itex]I[/itex] is not dependent on [itex]x[/itex], but instead it depends only on the function [itex]y(x)[/itex]. [itex]I[/itex] is a functional and as such it defines a mapping from the set of all functions [itex]y(x)[/itex] satisfying [itex]y(a)=0=y(b)[/itex] to [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex].

My question really, is why the integrand a function of the set of curves [itex]y(x)[/itex] (as defined above) and their derivatives [itex]y'(x)[/itex] (I've kept it to first-order for simplicity, but I know that in general it can be dependent on higher orders)?

Is this because, as [itex]I[/itex] is depends on every single value that [itex]y(x)[/itex] takes in the interval [itex]x\in [a, b][/itex], and not just its value at a single point, we must consider how [itex]y(x)[/itex] changes (i.e. we must consider it's derivatives) over this interval as we integrate over it. Thus, this implies that the integrand should be a function of the curve and it's rate of change?

Please could someone let me know if my thinking is correct, and if not, provide an explanation.

Thanks for your time.

Physics news on Phys.org
"Don't panic!" said:
the set of all functions [itex]y(x)[/itex] satisfying [itex]y(a)=0=y(b)[/itex] to [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex].

Sorry, I meant the set of all functions [itex]y(x)[/itex] satisfying [itex]\delta y(a)=0=\delta y(b)[/itex] to [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex].

FAQ: Why Does a Functional Depend on the Curve and Its Derivative?

1. What is a functional?

A functional is a mathematical function that takes another function as its input and produces a single value as its output.

2. How are functionals used in science?

Functionals are used in various fields of science, such as physics, chemistry, and engineering, to model and analyze complex systems and phenomena. They can also be used to optimize and solve equations and systems of equations.

3. Can you give an example of a functional?

One example of a functional is the action functional in physics, which takes the path of a particle as its input and outputs the total energy of the particle along that path.

4. How are functionals different from regular functions?

Regular functions take numbers as their input and produce numbers as their output, while functionals take functions as their input and produce numbers as their output. Additionally, functionals are often used to analyze and optimize systems, while regular functions are typically used to map individual numbers.

5. What are the benefits of using functionals in scientific research?

Functionals allow scientists to model and analyze complex systems and phenomena that cannot be easily described by regular functions. They also provide a powerful tool for optimization and problem-solving in various fields of science.