Why Does a Long-Barrel Cannon Make a Cannonball Travel Faster?

• Thread starter GreatEscapist
  • Start date
In summary, the cannonball shot from a long-barrel cannon travels faster than one shot from a short-barrel cannon because the cannonball receives greater impulse.
GreatEscapist
We are doing this for our physics class, and they are very basic, easy questions. But it is worth a lot, and might end up being our final. (We're allowed to get help any way possible)

Homework Statement

A cannonball shot from a long-barrel cannon travels faster than one shot from a short-barrel cannon because the cannonball receives greater
a. force
b. impulse
c. both a and b
d. neither a and b

Homework Equations

impulse= Ft

F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I think it is just b, instead of c, because I don't think there is a greater force. It doesn't indicate that a greater force is used on the bigger cannon. But the longer barrel gives it more time, therefore a greater impulse, right?

Just having a brain fart. :P And the easier problems get me, because I over-analyze.

Physics news on Phys.org
GreatEscapist said:
We are doing this for our physics class, and they are very basic, easy questions. But it is worth a lot, and might end up being our final. (We're allowed to get help any way possible)

Homework Statement

A cannonball shot from a long-barrel cannon travels faster than one shot from a short-barrel cannon because the cannonball receives greater
a. force
b. impulse
c. both a and b
d. neither a and b

Homework Equations

impulse= Ft

F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I think it is just b, instead of c, because I don't think there is a greater force. It doesn't indicate that a greater force is used on the bigger cannon. But the longer barrel gives it more time, therefore a greater impulse, right?

Just having a brain fart. :P And the easier problems get me, because I over-analyze.
Yes, you are correct. But I wouldn't say the problem was easy. It requires some conceptual thought, which you have explained well. Essentially, the longer barrel provides more time for the ball to reach greater speed (greater momentum change from the greater impulse) before it leaves the barrel.

Given the way the problem is stated (or at least the way I'm interpreting it), I would have to agree with your answer. :approve:

[Edit: PhanthomJay beat me to the punch. I guess it serves me right for procrastinating my replies.]:smile:

Related to Why Does a Long-Barrel Cannon Make a Cannonball Travel Faster?

1. What is force?

Force is a physical quantity that describes the push or pull on an object. It is measured in Newtons (N) and is represented by the symbol F.

2. How is force related to acceleration?

According to Newton's Second Law of Motion, force is directly proportional to acceleration. This means that the greater the force applied to an object, the greater its acceleration will be.

3. What is impulse?

Impulse is the change in momentum of an object. It is equal to the force applied to an object multiplied by the time over which the force is applied.

4. How are force and impulse related?

Force and impulse are related through Newton's Second Law of Motion, which states that the change in momentum of an object is equal to the force applied multiplied by the time over which the force is applied. This can also be written as FΔt = mΔv, where F is force, Δt is time, m is mass, and Δv is change in velocity.

5. How do I calculate force or impulse?

To calculate force, you can use the formula F = ma (force equals mass times acceleration). To calculate impulse, you can use the formula J = FΔt (impulse equals force times time). It is important to make sure that all units are consistent and in the correct SI units (e.g. kilograms for mass, meters per second squared for acceleration, and seconds for time).