Why does a pendulum overshoot equilibrium

In summary: I do not provide replies to questions, but to summarize the conversation:In summary, the question is about why a pendulum continues to oscillate even though the resultant force on it at equilibrium is zero. The conversation discusses the possible answer of inertia, but also addresses the incorrectness of the question since the pendulum is never in equilibrium during its motion. The final answer includes the application of Newton's First Law and the concept of momentum to explain the continued oscillation of the pendulum.
jsmith613

Homework Statement

"A pendulum is released from a height of h metres. At the equilibrium point the resultant force on the pendulum is zero. Explain why the pendulum continues to oscillate in spite of this" [3 marks]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I presume that it had something to do with the inertia of the pendulum (i.e: Newtons first law). But I don't know how to correctly phrase the 3-mark answer. Could someone please help.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
hi jsmith613! :smile:
jsmith613 said:
"A pendulum is released from a height of h metres. At the equilibrium point the resultant force on the pendulum is zero. Explain why the pendulum continues to oscillate in spite of this" [3 marks]

So I presume that it had something to do with the inertia of the pendulum (i.e: Newtons first law). But I don't know how to correctly phrase the 3-mark answer.

well, there's at least 1 mark for actually writing out Newton's first law! :biggrin:

then i suppose 1 mark for applying it to the particular case …

and maybe 1 mark for doing it in tolerable english :rolleyes:

also, since the question says "oscillate", which means going backward and forward, you'd better say something about that too

btw, is this an ordinary swinging pendulum?

if so, the question is wrong, the resultant force is non-zero since it has to equal … ? :smile:

tiny-tim said:
hi jsmith613! :smile:

well, there's at least 1 mark for actually writing out Newton's first law! :biggrin:

then i suppose 1 mark for applying it to the particular case …

and maybe 1 mark for doing it in tolerable english :rolleyes:

also, since the question says "oscillate", which means going backward and forward, you'd better say something about that too

btw, is this an ordinary swinging pendulum?

if so, the question is wrong, the resultant force is non-zero since it has to equal … ? :smile:

so would this answer work

Newton's First law states that a body will remain in a state of uniform motion unless an external resultant force acts. At all times, the resultant force acts towards the equilibrium position. As the pendulum approaches this position, it accelerates towards the equlibrium position so it speeds up. At equilibrium EXACTLY no force acts on the pendulum BUT the body still has inertia so continues to move.
At maximum amplitude the body has zero inertia but maximum acceleration. This causes the body to move back to equilibrium and hence oscillate

Do you think this would get 3 marks?

personally, i hate the word "inertia", i use momentum (or velocity as appropriate)

but if your professor uses it, then you'd better copy him!​

apart from that, it looks ok :smile:

tiny-tim said:
personally, i hate the word "inertia", i use momentum (or velocity as appropriate)

but if your professor uses it, then you'd better copy him!​

apart from that, it looks ok :smile:

ok how is this:Newton's First law states that a body will remain in a state of uniform motion unless an external resultant force acts.
At all times, the resultant force acts towards the equilibrium position. As the pendulum approaches this position, it accelerates towards the equlibrium position so it speeds up.

At equilibrium EXACTLY no force acts on the pendulum BUT the body still has momentum (which is conserved if not external forces act on the system, as at equilibrium) so continues to move.

At maximum amplitude the body has no momentum as the restoring force is acting to reduce the momentumof the body but the body has maximum acceleration. This causes the body to move back to equilibrium and hence oscillate

looks ok :smile:

(except you might reconsider the word "as" near the end)

tiny-tim said:
looks ok :smile:

(except you might reconsider the word "as" near the end)

:) thanks

What still needs to be resolved , however, is that is not correct to say that the pendulum is in equilibrium at the bottom of the swing, since it is being acted on by a net centripetal force. The forces acting on it in the vertical direction are non zero . Once released, it is never in equilibrium until a damping force or other externally applied force brings it to a halt.

Related to Why does a pendulum overshoot equilibrium

1. Why does a pendulum overshoot equilibrium?

A pendulum overshoots equilibrium due to the conservation of energy and the effects of gravity. When a pendulum is released, it begins to swing back and forth due to the force of gravity. As it swings, it gains kinetic energy and loses potential energy. However, as it reaches the highest point of its swing, all of its potential energy is converted into kinetic energy, causing it to overshoot the equilibrium point and continue swinging back and forth.

2. How does the length of a pendulum affect its overshoot?

The length of a pendulum affects its overshoot because it determines the period of the pendulum's swing. The longer the pendulum, the longer it takes for one complete swing. This means that the pendulum will reach its maximum height and velocity later in the swing, causing it to overshoot the equilibrium point more.

3. Can the weight of a pendulum affect its overshoot?

The weight of a pendulum does not directly affect its overshoot. However, the weight can affect the period of the pendulum's swing, which can indirectly impact the amount of overshoot. A heavier pendulum will have a longer period and therefore take longer to reach its maximum height and velocity, causing it to overshoot more.

4. Why does a pendulum eventually come to a stop?

A pendulum eventually comes to a stop due to the effects of friction and air resistance. As the pendulum swings back and forth, it experiences resistance from the air and any friction in the pivot point. This resistance gradually slows down the pendulum's swing until it eventually comes to a stop.

5. Can the angle of release affect the amount of overshoot in a pendulum?

Yes, the angle of release can affect the amount of overshoot in a pendulum. The angle of release determines the initial potential energy of the pendulum. A smaller angle of release will result in a smaller amount of potential energy, causing the pendulum to overshoot less. On the other hand, a larger angle of release will result in a greater amount of potential energy and a larger overshoot.