Why does a seesaw still lean even when the forces are equal on both sides?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of equilibrium on a seesaw and the role of torque and forces in maintaining balance. The forces on each side of the seesaw must be equal for it to be in equilibrium, but the torques must also be equal, not just the forces. This is because the center of gravity must remain over the pivot point for the seesaw to be balanced. When a person moves closer to the pivot, the torque changes and the center of gravity shifts, affecting the equilibrium. The conversation concludes with a clarification of the concept of torque and its relationship to forces in maintaining equilibrium on a seesaw.
adjacent
Gold Member
On the diagram in the thumbnail,You could see A,B,C,D
I read from somewhere that forces acting on the two sides should be equal to be in equilibrium
But a person moving closer does not change the forces i.e the forces on the two sides is still equal and the center of gravity still lies on the same place
Still the seesaw leans
How is it?
I know that the torque will be decreased but this does not make any sense to me .Please explain it without torque

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    635 bytes · Views: 424
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
adjacent said:
On the diagram in the thumbnail,You could see A,B,C,D
I read from somewhere that forces acting on the two sides should be equal to be in equilibrium
The torques must be equal, not the forces.

Doc Al said:
The torques must be equal, not the forces.
Then please explain the thing without torques

adjacent said:
Then please explain the thing without torques
You need torque to explain it. Your statement that the force on each side must be equal is incorrect.

Perhaps you are thinking that the net force (on the plank, say) must be equal for it to be in equilibrium. That's certainly true, but insufficient.

If the forces are not balance will not one side accelerate
As F=ma

adjacent said:
If the forces are not balance will not one side accelerate
As F=ma
If the plank is in equilibrium, the net force on it must be zero. That does not mean that the forces pushing down on the plank on either side must be equal. Realize that there is a support force from the pivot point.

Thanks Doc Al.That means my teacher was wrong in explaining

I'm not sure I would jump to that conclusion: your questions imply to me that you misunderstood something.

adjacent said:
But a person moving closer does not change the forces i.e the forces on the two sides is still equal and the center of gravity still lies on the same place
Since you brought up center of gravity, you should get that concept straight. If person on one side moves closer to the pivot, that would indeed change the center of gravity of the system. For the system to be in equilibrium, the center of gravity must remain over the pivot. Note that this is equivalent to saying that the net torque must be zero.

but at the center of gravity,the forces on two sides should be equal?
whether the person moves closer to the pivot or not,the forces on two sides still should remain same

adjacent said:
but at the center of gravity,the forces on two sides should be equal?
No, the torques on each side should be equal.

whether the person moves closer to the pivot or not,the forces on two sides still should remain same
When a person moves, the force doesn't change but the torque exerted about the pivot does change. And thus the center of gravity changes.

Say you had two persons, one with a mass of 50 kg, the other with a mass of 100 kg. Where is the center of mass between them? Is it possible for them to balance the seesaw? How?

So I misunderstood the torque and forces.Thank you Doc Al for explaining.

FAQ: Why does a seesaw still lean even when the forces are equal on both sides?

1. What is torque?

Torque is the measure of a force applied to an object that causes it to rotate around an axis or pivot point. It is expressed in units of newton-meters (N*m).

2. How is torque calculated?

Torque is calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the applied force by the distance between the force and the pivot point. The formula for torque is: torque = force x distance (T = F x d).

3. What is the center of gravity?

The center of gravity is the point at which an object's weight is evenly distributed in all directions. It is the point where the object will balance on a pivot.

4. How is the center of gravity determined?

The center of gravity can be determined experimentally by suspending an object from multiple points and finding the point where it balances. It can also be calculated mathematically by finding the weighted average of the object's individual masses and their respective distances from a reference point.

5. Why is understanding torque and center of gravity important in physics?

Understanding torque and center of gravity is important in physics because they are key concepts in understanding how objects move and behave in relation to forces and motion. They are also crucial in engineering and design, as they help determine the stability and balance of structures and machines.