Why Does a Sliding Plank Lose Contact with the Wall at Two-Thirds Its Height?

In summary, the problem involves a Planck of length L2 leaning against a wall and slipping downwards without friction. The goal is to show that the top of the plank loses contact with the wall at 2/3 of its original height. Using the equations F*R = torque, Moment of Inertia of Rod (I) = 1/3 M4L^{2}, and Mgh = \frac{1}{2}MV^{2} + \frac{1}{2}I\omega^{2}, the attempt at a solution involves setting the height of the center of mass (1/2h) and solving for h, while taking into account the horizontal velocity and the radial velocity. The problem also provides a valuable
Zeebo

Homework Statement

A Planck of length L2 leans against a wall. It starts to slip downwards without friction. Show that the top of the plank loses contact with the wall at 2/3 of it's original height.

Homework Equations

F*R = torque
Moment of Inertia of Rod (I) = 1/3 M4L[tex]^{2}[/tex]
Mgh = [tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex]MV[tex]^{2}[/tex] + [tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex]I[tex]\omega[/tex][tex]^{2}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I've been trying this problem for over two hours now and can't seem to get it to work. My initial idea was to work with torques, but I didn't seem to be getting anywhere so I tried the Mgh formula above, setting h as the height of the center of mass (1/2h) and trying to solve for h knowing that at the point the rod leaves the wall the horizontal velocity should be equal to the horizontal component of the radial velocity. So far I can't seem to get the equations to work out, any help would be very much appreciated.

The problem also has a hint:
Only a single variable is needed to describe the system. Note the motion of the center of mass.

Physics news on Phys.org
The hint is very valuable. Can you find what type of curve the center of mass describes while the plank is in contact with the wall? If not, assume that the plank never loses contact and draw a sequence of planks at different angles and connect their midpoints.

FAQ: Why Does a Sliding Plank Lose Contact with the Wall at Two-Thirds Its Height?

1. What is the "Sliding Stick against a Wall" experiment?

The "Sliding Stick against a Wall" experiment is a physical demonstration of Newton's laws of motion. It involves sliding a stick against a wall at different angles and observing the motion of the stick.

2. What materials are needed for the "Sliding Stick against a Wall" experiment?

The materials needed for this experiment include a stick (such as a ruler or dowel), a flat vertical surface (such as a wall), and a smooth surface to slide the stick on (such as a table or floor).

3. What are the variables in the "Sliding Stick against a Wall" experiment?

The independent variable in this experiment is the angle at which the stick is slid against the wall. The dependent variable is the motion of the stick, including its speed and direction. Other variables to consider include the surface the stick is slid on, the mass of the stick, and the force applied to the stick.

4. How does the "Sliding Stick against a Wall" experiment demonstrate Newton's laws of motion?

The first law of motion states that an object at rest will stay at rest and an object in motion will stay in motion unless acted upon by an external force. In this experiment, the stick will continue sliding in a straight line unless an external force (such as friction) acts upon it. The second law of motion states that force equals mass times acceleration. By changing the angle of the stick against the wall, we can observe how the force and resulting motion of the stick change. The third law of motion states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. When the stick slides against the wall, the wall exerts an equal and opposite force on the stick, causing it to change direction.

5. What are some real-world applications of the "Sliding Stick against a Wall" experiment?

The principles demonstrated in this experiment are applicable to many real-world situations, such as understanding the motion of objects on an incline or the motion of a car on a curved road. It can also be used to study friction and its effect on motion. Additionally, this experiment can help us understand the forces at play in sports, such as the trajectory of a ball after it is hit.

Back