Why does a snowflake have six sides?

• Thread starter barryj
  • Start date
In summary, a snowflake has six sides because the water molecule is polar and arranges itself in a hexagonal ring. This is the most efficient way for H2O molecules to join. As the snowflake forms, the symmetry of the underlying ice crystal structure is mirrored. The final shape of the snowflake is determined by the precise path it took through the clouds, resulting in a complex yet symmetrical shape. No two snowflakes look exactly alike due to their unique paths through the clouds. This information can be found on websites such as snowcrystals.com and by using Google to search for answers.
barryj
Probably everyone has heard that a snowflake has six sides. I wonder why. It is reported that since the water molecule is polar, the molecules arrange themselves in a hexagonal ring. I wonder why 6 sides and not 4,5,7,8,9,... etc. Also.as a water molecule approaches a developing snowflake, how does it know where to attach itself. The molecule on one limb of the snowflake does not have any idea of the structure of the other side, does it?

Physics news on Phys.org
As phinds mentioned, the snowflake symmetry mirrors the underlying ice crystal structure (hexagonal). An excellent site:

http://snowcrystals.com/

I did not know of these sites. Thanks to both of you.

barryj said:
I did not know of these sites. Thanks to both of you.
Google is your friend. I just cut/pasted your question into Google and found the answer for you. Took about 3 seconds.

I went to Google and viewed some reply's. However what bugs me is when a snowflake is forming why does each leg appear symmetrical. A water molecule that is going to attach itself does not know the structure of the flake on the other side, or the other 5 legs. I can see why the original hexagonal ring forms but after that what controls the shape?

barryj said:
can see why the original hexagonal ring forms but after that what controls the shape?

that was answered in that page Andy posted

The exact shape of the final snow crystal is determined by the precise path it took through the clouds. But the six arms all took the same path, and so each experienced the same changes at the same times. Thus the six arms grow in synchrony, yielding a complex, yet symmetrical shape. And since no two snow crystals follow the exact same path through the clouds as they fall, no two look exactly alike

go back to his link and read the section on Snowflake Science

cheers
Dave

FAQ: Why does a snowflake have six sides?

1. Why do snowflakes always have six sides?

Snowflakes have six sides because they are formed from ice crystals that are organized in a hexagonal structure. This is due to the way water molecules bond with each other when they freeze, resulting in a six-sided shape.

2. Can snowflakes have more or less than six sides?

No, snowflakes will always have six sides due to the unique arrangement of water molecules when they freeze. However, the specific shape and structure of each snowflake can vary greatly, resulting in a wide variety of intricate and unique patterns.

3. Are there any other natural objects that have six sides?

Yes, in addition to snowflakes, many other natural objects have six-sided shapes. Examples include honeycomb structures, quartz crystals, and some types of pollen grains.

4. How do scientists study the formation of snowflakes?

Scientists use a variety of methods to study snowflake formation, including computer simulations, controlled laboratory experiments, and field observations. They also use specialized tools such as microscopes and cameras to capture and analyze the intricate structures of snowflakes.

5. Are all snowflakes truly unique?

While it is often said that no two snowflakes are alike, this is not entirely accurate. While each snowflake is unique in its specific shape and structure, there can be similarities between some snowflakes. However, with the countless variables that can affect snowflake formation, it is safe to say that the chances of finding two identical snowflakes are extremely low.

Back