Why does A squared not equal A times A when k = Z2?

In summary: We say null o'clock (= midnight). But even if you insist on the usage of twelve o'clock, then simply change the equivalence classes to ##\{1\},\{2\},\{3\},\{4\},\{5\},\{6\},\{7\},\{8\},\{9\},\{10\},\{11\},\{12\}## with ## \{12\}## as neutral element. ##\mathbb{Z}_{12}## is exactly the clock. O.k., the hours on the clock.
Karl Karlsson
TL;DR Summary
Let $$A=\begin{pmatrix}
1 & 1 \\
1 & 0
\end{pmatrix}$$ with ##k=\mathbb{Z}_2## I think k is the set of scalars for a vector that can be multiplied with the matrix A (I could definitely be wrong). Then for some reason ##A^2= \begin{pmatrix} 0 & 1 \\ 1 & 1 \end{pmatrix}## this is not the same as ##A\cdot A##. Why? What has happened?
In my book no explanation for this concept is given and i can't find anything about it when I am searching. One example that was given was:
Let $$A=\begin{pmatrix}
1 & 1 \\
1 & 0
\end{pmatrix}$$ with ##k=\mathbb{Z}_2## I think k is the set of scalars for a vector that can be multiplied with the matrix A (I could definitely be wrong). Then for some reason ##A^2= \begin{pmatrix} 0 & 1 \\ 1 & 1 \end{pmatrix}## this is not the same as ##A\cdot A##. Why? What has happened?

Physics news on Phys.org
##A^2=A\cdot A##. You only have to apply the multiplication given by the scalar field ##\mathbb{Z}_2## where ##1\cdot 1+1\cdot 1=0.##

fresh_42 said:
##A^2=A\cdot A##. You only have to apply the multiplication given by the scalar field ##\mathbb{Z}_2## where ##1\cdot 1+1\cdot 1=0.##
Hi! What do you mean multiplication given by the scalar field ##\mathbb{Z}_2## where ##1\cdot 1+1\cdot 1=0##? Why is not ##1\cdot 1+1\cdot 1=2## ? I have never seen this before

• Wow
Likes PeroK
Look up ##\mathbb{Z}_2##. This is the two-element field consisting of ##\{0, 1 \}## only, with arithmetic operations defined modulo 2.

Karl Karlsson said:
Hi! What do you mean multiplication given by the scalar field ##\mathbb{Z}_2## where ##1\cdot 1+1\cdot 1=0##? Why is not ##1\cdot 1+1\cdot 1=2## ? I have never seen this before
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finite_field

##\mathbb{Z}_p=\mathbb{Z}/p\cdot\mathbb{Z}## which means that all numbers which differ by multiples of ##p## are considered equivalent. Hence we only have the representants of the equivalence classes as elements which are the remainders of the division by ##p\, : \,0,1,2,\ldots,p-1##.

I told you in another thread to consider ##\mathbb{Z}_{12}=\mathbb{Z}/12\cdot\mathbb{Z}## in order to practice quotient building. ##\mathbb{Z}_{12}## isn't a field as ##\mathbb{Z}_{2}## is, but this doesn't matter, since we do not divide anywhere. The reason why I suggested ##\mathbb{Z}_{12}## is, that you have it on the clock!

Sorry for the off topic comment, but I couldn't resist. I don't like the notation ##\mathbb Z_p## for the field of ##p## elements, because this is the standard notation for the ring of ##p##-adic integers, and for the field of ##p## elements there are already other good notations.

martinbn said:
Sorry for the off topic comment, but I couldn't resist. I don't like the notation ##\mathbb Z_p## for the field of ##p## elements, because this is the standard notation for the ring of ##p##-adic integers, and for the field of ##p## elements there are already other good notations.
How do you notate ##\mathbb{Z}_{12}##? As quotient, in which case I demand you to write ##\mathbb{C}## as ##\mathbb{R}[x]/(x^2+1)##, or do you only oppose the prime field notation ##\mathbb{Z}_p##, in which case you have two notations for the same class of rings: ##\operatorname{GF}(2)## and ##\mathbb{Z}_{12}##? This is way more confusing than p-adic numbers and finite prime fields are, since they are rarely used side by side.

fresh_42 said:
How do you notate ##\mathbb{Z}_{12}##? As quotient, in which case I demand you to write ##\mathbb{C}## as ##\mathbb{R}[x]/(x^2+1)##, or do you only oppose the prime field notation ##\mathbb{Z}_p##, in which case you have two notations for the same class of rings: ##\operatorname{GF}(2)## and ##\mathbb{Z}_{12}##? This is way more confusing than p-adic numbers and finite prime fields are, since they are rarely used side by side.
No need to get upset, I only said what I don't like. Everyone else can like or use whatever he wants.

Karl Karlsson said:
PeroK said:
Look up ##\mathbb{Z}_2##. This is the two-element field consisting of ##\{0, 1 \}## only, with arithmetic operations defined modulo 2.
To elaborate, here are the arithmetic operations in ##\mathbb Z_2##.
Addition
0 + 0 = 0
0 + 1 = 1
1 + 0 = 1
1 + 1 = 0
Multiplication
0 * 0 = 0
0 * 1 = 0
1 * 0 = 0
1 * 1 = 1

Therefore, 1 * 1 + 1 + 1 = 1 + 1 = 0

Thanks for the answers! I have since found more info about ##Z_2## even though there were no info about it in my book

Karl Karlsson said:
Thanks for the answers! I have since found more info about ##Z_2## even though there were no info about it in my book
##\mathbb{Z}_2## is a light switch: on and off. If you switch it twice it's off again. The same principle every computer is based on. ##\mathbb{Z}_{12}## is the clock.

fresh_42 said:
##\mathbb{Z}_{12}## is the clock.
But not quite. In ##\mathbb{Z}_{12}## there are the equivalence classes {0}, {1}, {2}, {3}, ..., {11}. So 11 + 1 = 0 (mod 12), but on the clock, 11:00 + 1 hour = 12:00.

##12:00 = 0:00.## We say null o'clock (= midnight). But even if you insist on the usage of twelve o'clock, then simply change the equivalence classes to ##\{1\},\{2\},\{3\},\{4\},\{5\},\{6\},\{7\},\{8\},\{9\},\{10\},\{11\},\{12\}## with ## \{12\}## as neutral element. ##\mathbb{Z}_{12}## is exactly the clock. O.k., the hours on the clock.

Related to Why does A squared not equal A times A when k = Z2?

1. What is the value of k in the equation A^2 = k?

The value of k in the equation A^2 = k is Z_2, which represents the set of integers modulo 2. This means that k can only have two possible values: 0 or 1.

2. How do you calculate A^2 when k = Z_2?

To calculate A^2 when k = Z_2, you can simply square the value of A and then take the remainder when divided by 2. This will give you the value of A^2 in the set of integers modulo 2.

3. Why is it important to specify the value of k in the equation A^2 = k?

The value of k in the equation A^2 = k is important because it determines the set in which A^2 will be calculated. Different values of k will result in different sets, and this can greatly affect the outcome of the calculation.

4. Can A^2 be calculated when k is not equal to Z_2?

Yes, A^2 can be calculated when k is not equal to Z_2. However, the result will not be in the set of integers modulo 2. It is important to specify the value of k in order to accurately calculate A^2 in the desired set.

5. How is the set Z_2 related to the concept of binary numbers?

The set Z_2 is closely related to the concept of binary numbers. In binary, there are only two possible digits: 0 and 1. This aligns with the two possible values of k in the equation A^2 = k, which are also represented by 0 and 1. Therefore, the set Z_2 is often used in binary operations and calculations.