Why Does a Transverse Wave Show Particle Movement Downwards?

• Thread starter ibysaiyan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wave
In summary, the conversation discusses the orientation and direction of travel of a particle, P, on a transverse wave. The question asks about the particle's movement at a specific time and the mark scheme states the opposite of the expected answer. The conversation concludes with a request for clarification on the diagram and its representation of the wave.
ibysaiyan

Homework Statement

Now I know transverse waves have their particles oscillation 90 degree to their propagation.So for this question shouldn't the particle movement be "Vertically upwards at time 0.0s" for P.That's what I thought but the mark scheme I have been given states "downwards".
I don't quite get it. http://img141.imageshack.us/i/39942835.png/"
Any help will be appreciated. =]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Where would you locate particle P on the dotted curve "a short time later"?

Isn't the question asking for the orientation of the particle "P" on the bold line at 0.0s ?
Sorry I should have been more clearer in my OP.The question puzzling me is : 6 (b)(i)

ibysaiyan said:
Isn't the question asking for the orientation of the particle "P" on the bold line at 0.0s ?
Sorry I should have been more clearer in my OP.The question puzzling me is : 6 (b)(i)

The question is asking about the direction of travel of the particle at point P. The diagram depicts two snapshots of the wave separated by a short time interval.

So, where would you locate particle P on the dotted curve "a short time later"?

Oh dear I still don't get it...

ibysaiyan said:
Oh dear I still don't get it...

I'm not sure how to make it much clearer. Tell you what, why don't you explain, in your own words, what the two curves in the figure represent?

FAQ: Why Does a Transverse Wave Show Particle Movement Downwards?

1. What is a transverse wave?

A transverse wave is a type of wave in which the particles of the medium vibrate perpendicular to the direction of the wave's propagation. This means that the particles move up and down or side to side, rather than back and forth along the direction of the wave.

2. How is a transverse wave different from a longitudinal wave?

In a longitudinal wave, the particles of the medium vibrate parallel to the direction of the wave's propagation. This means that the particles move back and forth or compress and expand in the same direction as the wave travels. In contrast, in a transverse wave, the particles move perpendicular to the direction of the wave's propagation.

3. What are some examples of transverse waves?

Some common examples of transverse waves include light waves, water waves, and seismic S waves. Electromagnetic waves, such as radio waves and X-rays, are also transverse waves.

4. How are transverse waves created?

Transverse waves can be created in different ways, depending on the type of wave. For example, light waves are created by electromagnetic vibrations, whereas water waves are created by disturbances in the water's surface. In general, transverse waves are created when a source causes a disturbance or oscillation in a medium, causing the particles to vibrate perpendicularly to the direction of the wave's motion.

5. What are some properties of transverse waves?

Some properties of transverse waves include wavelength, frequency, amplitude, and speed. The wavelength is the distance between two consecutive peaks or troughs of the wave, while the frequency is the number of complete wave cycles that pass a given point in a second. The amplitude is the maximum displacement of a particle from its rest position. The speed of a transverse wave is determined by the medium through which it travels and is often affected by factors such as temperature and density.

Back