Why does accelerating a loop through a constant magnetic field induce an EMF?

In summary, when a loop is moving through a magnetic field, an emf is induced. This is due to the electric field generated, not Faraday's law. Accelerating the loop does not cause an emf.
Sho Kano
So from Faraday's law, a change in the magnetic flux will induce an emf on a loop of wire.
[itex]{ \phi }_{ B }\quad =\quad BA\\ { \varepsilon }_{ ind }\quad =\quad \frac { d{ \phi }_{ B } }{ dt } [/itex]
(in this case a perpendicular field)
From these equations, it looks like the only way to induce a voltage is to change the magnetic field, change the area, and change the angle between the two. Then why does accelerating the loop through a constant field also induce an emf? The magnetic field and the area is constant in this case.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, if you're in the frame of the loop which is moving then there will be an electric field in addition to a magnetic one.

Paul Colby said:
Well, if you're in the frame of the loop which is moving then there will be an electric field in addition to a magnetic one.
Because of the magnetic force on the electrons right? So the emf will be due solely to the electric field generated, and not from Faraday's law right?

Well, I was thinking more in terms of relativity. If one has a ##B##-field and no ##E##-field in one frame then a frame moving relative to the first will see both ##E## and ##B##-fields. So, ridding on the wire one would see an emf.

I think to answer more directly the "generated" E field is due to the relative motion, so yes.

Sho Kano said:
From these equations, it looks like the only way to induce a voltage is to change the magnetic field, change the area, and change the angle between the two. Then why does accelerating the loop through a constant field also induce an emf? The magnetic field and the area is constant in this case.

What do you mean by an EMF here? Is there current flow through the loop (not just charge separation)?

Drakkith said:
What do you mean by an EMF here? Is there current flow through the loop (not just charge separation)?
Yes, there was a slide that my professor went through that showed had a question along the lines of this:
A rectangular loop of wire is moving through a uniform magnetic field. When the loop is moving at constant velocity is there an emf? What about when it's accelerating?
We didn't go over motional emf before this.

Honestly I'm not sure. I wouldn't think so, but I haven't gone over anything in my E&M class related to accelerating a loop through a magnetic field either.

If the surface you integrate the local Faraday Law,
$$\vec{\nabla} \times \vec{E}=-\frac{1}{c} \partial_t \vec{B}$$
over a time-dependent surface with time-dependent boundary, you have to define the EMF as
$$\mathrm{EMF}=\int_{\partial F} \mathrm{d} \vec{x} \cdot \left[ \vec{E}+\frac{\vec{v}}{c} \times \vec{B} \right ],$$
where ##\vec{v}## is the three-velocity of the surface (taken along its boundary ##\partial F## within the integral). Then you have
$$\mathrm{EMF}=-\frac{1}{c} \frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d} t} \int_F \mathrm{d}^2 \vec{F} \cdot \vec{B}.$$
If the loop is just accelerated in a constant ##\vec{B}##, no EMF is induced.

vanhees71 said:
If the surface you integrate the local Faraday Law,
$$\vec{\nabla} \times \vec{E}=-\frac{1}{c} \partial_t \vec{B}$$
over a time-dependent surface with time-dependent boundary, you have to define the EMF as
$$\mathrm{EMF}=\int_{\partial F} \mathrm{d} \vec{x} \cdot \left[ \vec{E}+\frac{\vec{v}}{c} \times \vec{B} \right ],$$
where ##\vec{v}## is the three-velocity of the surface (taken along its boundary ##\partial F## within the integral). Then you have
$$\mathrm{EMF}=-\frac{1}{c} \frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d} t} \int_F \mathrm{d}^2 \vec{F} \cdot \vec{B}.$$
If the loop is just accelerated in a constant ##\vec{B}##, no EMF is induced.
Haha, I have not learned all that yet. Is that just another form of Faraday's law? I do believe my instructor made a mistake.

Related to Why does accelerating a loop through a constant magnetic field induce an EMF?

What is electromagnetic induction?

Electromagnetic induction is the process of generating an electric current by moving a conductive material (such as a wire) through a magnetic field. This creates an induced electric field, known as an electromagnetic force (EMF).

What are the methods of inducing an EMF?

The two main methods of inducing an EMF are by moving a conductive material through a magnetic field (known as Faraday's law) and by changing the magnetic field through a stationary conductor (known as Lenz's law).

How does electromagnetic induction work?

Electromagnetic induction works on the principle of a changing magnetic field creating an induced electric field. When a conductor moves through a magnetic field, the magnetic flux through the conductor changes, causing an induced current to flow.

What are some real-world applications of electromagnetic induction?

Electromagnetic induction has many practical applications, such as in generators, transformers, and electric motors. It is also used in wireless charging technology and induction cooktops.

What factors affect the strength of an induced EMF?

The strength of an induced EMF is affected by the strength of the magnetic field, the speed of the movement of the conductor, and the angle between the conductor and the magnetic field. The number of turns in the conductor also plays a role in the strength of the induced EMF.