Why Does Adding 's' Change to Subtracting 'c' in This Algebraic Expression?

It looks like a typo. In summary, the given rational expressions can be rearranged to (ac + as + bc)/[(b + a + s)(c + s)]. To combine these expressions, the first one can be multiplied by (c + s)/(c + s) to give the same denominator, and then the numerators can be added. The change from +s to -c appears to be a typo and should not happen.
roadworx
Hi,

I have:

[tex] \frac{a}{b+a+s} + \frac{c*b}{(b+a+s)(c+s)}[/tex]

I can rearrange that to:

[tex]\frac{a-c}{b+a-c} * \frac{b+a}{b+a+s} + \frac{b}{b+a-c} * \frac{c}{c+s} [/tex]

Is this correct? If so, can someone tell me why the +s changes into a -c?

Physics news on Phys.org
You should supply the steps. Also what are you trying to achieve?
A simpler expression is (ac + as + bc)/[(b + a + s)(c + s)].

roadworx said:
Hi,

I have:

[tex] \frac{a}{b+a+s} + \frac{c*b}{(b+a+s)(c+s)}[/tex]

I can rearrange that to:

[tex]\frac{a-c}{b+a-c} * \frac{b+a}{b+a+s} + \frac{b}{b+a-c} * \frac{c}{c+s} [/tex]

Is this correct? If so, can someone tell me why the +s changes into a -c?
If your goal is to combine the two rational expressions, multiply the one on the left by 1 in the form of (c + s)/(c + s). That gives you the same denominator in both expressions, so you can then add the numerators.

A +s should not change to a -c.

Related to Why Does Adding 's' Change to Subtracting 'c' in This Algebraic Expression?

1. What is an algebraic expression?

An algebraic expression is a mathematical statement that contains numbers, variables, and mathematical operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division.

2. How do you simplify algebraic expressions?

To simplify an algebraic expression, you need to combine like terms and perform mathematical operations according to the order of operations (PEMDAS). This will result in a simplified expression with no parentheses or like terms.

3. What is the difference between an algebraic expression and an equation?

An algebraic expression is a mathematical statement that contains variables and operations, whereas an equation is a statement that equates two expressions using an equal sign. An equation has a solution, while an expression can only be simplified.

4. How do you solve algebraic expressions?

To solve an algebraic expression, you need to isolate the variable on one side of the equation by using inverse operations. This will result in the value of the variable, which is the solution to the expression.

5. Why do we use algebraic expressions?

Algebraic expressions are used to represent real-life situations and solve mathematical problems. They allow us to understand and analyze relationships between quantities and make predictions based on these relationships.

Back