Why Does AFM Imaging Drift Over Multiple Scans?

• Thread starter ema
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Imaging
In summary: These measures can help minimize the effects of thermal drift and maintain a stable sample-probe interaction force.
ema
Hello,
I am a newbie in AFM and do not have enough time to figure out the answer to a probably easy question:
I need to image continuously, for several times without modifying the scan settings, a relatively flat sample (+/-3 or 4nm) and I notice the following:
In CM, after a while, the deflection is drifted to (usually) higher values, fact that is modifying considerably the sample-probe interaction force. This is also visible in the images (higher or lower heights) and is destroying the sample.
Similar effects I see in TM: after taking several images the set point doesn’t remain the same any more..the pictures are getting fade and I recover them only after modifying the scan settings.
I would like to know what is the cause of these effects and if there is a way to eliminate them.

Many thanks,
ema

Physics news on Phys.org
The most likely cause of the drift you are seeing is thermal drift, which occurs when the cantilever temperature increases over time. This can be caused by the laser heating the cantilever, or a number of other factors. To help reduce thermal drift, you can use an active feedback system to keep the cantilever at a constant temperature. Additionally, you can reduce the laser power, or use a shorter laser pulse duration. Finally, you can use a cantilever with a lower thermal sensitivity.

Hello Ema,

Thank you for reaching out about your AFM imaging concerns. It sounds like you are experiencing some drift in your images, which can be a common issue in AFM imaging. There are a few potential causes for this, so I will try to address them one by one.

Firstly, it is possible that the drift you are seeing is due to thermal effects. As the AFM probe scans over the sample, heat can be generated and cause the sample to expand or contract slightly, leading to a change in the deflection signal. This can be particularly problematic for soft or delicate samples. To minimize this effect, it is important to keep the scan speed and force as low as possible and to use a probe with a small tip radius.

Another potential cause of drift is due to changes in the environment, such as temperature or humidity. These changes can affect the sample and its interaction with the probe, leading to drift in the images. To minimize this, it is important to control the environmental conditions as much as possible and to allow time for the sample to equilibrate before beginning imaging.

Additionally, it is possible that the drift you are seeing is due to changes in the probe itself. Over time, the probe can wear down or become contaminated, leading to changes in its properties and behavior. It is important to regularly clean and replace your probes to ensure accurate and consistent imaging.

Lastly, it is possible that the drift you are experiencing is due to an issue with the instrument itself. If you have ruled out all other potential causes, it may be worth contacting the manufacturer of your AFM for further troubleshooting and assistance.

I hope this helps to address your concerns and provide some potential solutions. Best of luck with your imaging!

Related to Why Does AFM Imaging Drift Over Multiple Scans?

1. What is the purpose of continuously imaging with AFM?

The purpose of continuously imaging with AFM (atomic force microscopy) is to study the surface topography and properties of a sample at a nanoscale level. This technique allows for the visualization of surface features and the measurement of physical properties such as roughness and surface forces.

2. How does AFM continuously image a sample?

AFM uses a small probe with a sharp tip to scan the surface of a sample. As the probe moves across the surface, it detects forces between the tip and the sample, which are used to create an image of the surface topography.

3. What are the advantages of continuously imaging with AFM?

Continuously imaging with AFM offers several advantages, including high resolution imaging at the nanoscale, the ability to image in various environments (such as air, liquid, or vacuum), and the ability to study both conductive and non-conductive samples.

4. Are there any limitations to continuously imaging with AFM?

Yes, there are some limitations to continuously imaging with AFM. One limitation is the slow imaging speed, which can take several minutes to hours depending on the size of the sample and the resolution desired. Additionally, AFM cannot image samples that are buried under a layer of material or samples that are too soft or too rough.

5. How is data collected and analyzed from continuously imaging with AFM?

Data from AFM is typically collected and analyzed using specialized software. The software allows for the visualization of the scanned surface and the extraction of quantitative data such as surface roughness and height measurements. Advanced analysis techniques, such as force spectroscopy, can also be performed to study the physical properties of the sample.

Back