Why Does an Accelerometer Show Zero During a Ball's Flight?

In summary, the conversation discusses the expected acceleration trace for a cricket ball being thrown and a pendulum, as well as the confusion between acceleration and velocity. The expected acceleration for a thrown ball would involve two "camel humps" as the ball is thrown upwards and then descends, while the acceleration for a pendulum would oscillate between slightly below and slightly above g. The conversation also addresses the role of tension in the motion of a pendulum and the fact that an accelerometer does not measure the acceleration due to gravity.
Sam Smith
I have a cricket ball and I place a dual axis accelerometer on it and throw is up in the air and catch it repeatedly. What would I expect its acceleration trace to look like. I am getting myself confused as I think there is an error in my trace.

Physics news on Phys.org
You would expect acceleration upwards during both the throwing phases. What are you seeing?

I was expecting acceleration to increase as i throw the ball upwards, that then to slowly decrease and come to zero when it stops at maximum height before acceleration increases in the opposite direction then slows down and come to zero when it stops in my hand so like two camel humps is that correct. My trace instead gives just one big hump which is confusing me. Also what would acceleration trace look like if I put my sensor on a pendulum?

Sam Smith said:
I was expecting acceleration to increase as i throw the ball upwards, that then to slowly decrease and come to zero when it stops at maximum height before acceleration increases in the opposite direction then slows down and come to zero when it stops in my hand so like two camel humps is that correct. My trace instead gives just one big hump which is confusing me. Also what would acceleration trace look like if I put my sensor on a pendulum?

Are you sure you're not confusing velocity and acceleration?

Possibly. How would you expect the acceleration curve to look for a ball being thrown and a pendulum? I would like to take a look at a graph so I can work through it but I can't find a simple graph of it. For example on my dual axis how would the vertical and horizontal graphs look?

Sam Smith said:
Possibly. How would you expect the acceleration curve to look for a ball being thrown and a pendulum? I would like to take a look at a graph so I can work through it but I can't find a simple graph of it. For example on my dual axis how would the vertical and horizontal graphs look?

Okay, let me rephrase what I said. When you say "acceleration", you are thinking about velocity. You are confusing these two concepts. The acceleration due to gravity is constant.

A pendulum is more complicated, because it has two forces acting on it: gravity and tension in the string.

Yes I think you may be write my accelerometer measures acceleration in terms of g. If that's the case have I described hwo I would expect the graph to look correctly.,

Sam Smith said:
I was expecting acceleration to increase as i throw the ball upwards, that then to slowly decrease and come to zero when it stops at maximum height before acceleration increases in the opposite direction then slows down and come to zero when it stops in my hand

Any time that the ball is not being accelerated by your hand it is in free fall and the acceleration (as measured by an accelerometer) is zero.

In terms of the pendulum oi I ignore the tension of the arm and consider simply the motion if for example I had a robotic arm and it was moving as a pendulum how would I expect it to look

Sam Smith said:
In terms of the pendulum oi I ignore the tension of the arm and consider simply the motion if for example I had a robotic arm and it was moving as a pendulum how would I expect it to look
You can't ignore the tension in the arm (you just replaced the simple arm with a more complicated looking one that does exactly the same thing), but in either case, the acceleration detected oscillates from g to a little below g to a little above g over and over again.

PeroK said:
The acceleration due to gravity is constant.
An acclerometer doesn't measure the acceleration due to gravity, just proper acceleration due to other forces. As Nugatory said, it is zero during flight (ignoring air resistance), and more than 1g upwards during throwing up and catching.

Related to Why Does an Accelerometer Show Zero During a Ball's Flight?

1. How does gravity affect the motion of a ball when thrown up and down?

Gravity is a force that pulls objects towards the center of the Earth. When a ball is thrown up, it will experience a force of gravity pulling it back down towards the ground. This force causes the ball to accelerate towards the ground, increasing its speed as it falls. When the ball reaches the ground, it bounces back up due to the force of the ground pushing against it. This process repeats, with the force of gravity constantly pulling the ball back towards the ground.

2. Why does a ball thrown straight up eventually fall back down?

As mentioned before, gravity is constantly pulling the ball back towards the ground. When the ball is thrown straight up, it has an initial upward velocity that is gradually slowed down by the force of gravity. Eventually, the ball reaches its maximum height where its velocity becomes zero. At this point, gravity is the only force acting on the ball, causing it to accelerate towards the ground and fall back down.

3. How does air resistance affect the motion of a ball when thrown up and down?

Air resistance is a force that acts in the opposite direction of an object's motion. When a ball is thrown up, it encounters air resistance which slows it down and changes its trajectory. This can cause the ball to not reach the same height as it was initially thrown, and it may also affect the time it takes for the ball to fall back down. However, for most cases, the effects of air resistance on a ball thrown up and down are minimal and can be ignored.

4. Why does a ball bounce higher on a hard surface compared to a soft surface?

When a ball bounces, it stores potential energy as it compresses upon impact with the ground. This potential energy is then converted into kinetic energy as the ball springs back up. On a hard surface, there is less energy lost due to the surface being able to push back against the ball with more force. On a soft surface, more energy is lost due to the surface being able to absorb some of the impact, resulting in a lower bounce height.

5. How does the mass and size of a ball affect its motion when thrown up and down?

The mass and size of a ball do not significantly affect its motion when thrown up and down. According to Newton's Second Law of Motion, the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the force applied to it and inversely proportional to its mass. This means that a heavier ball will experience a greater force of gravity and accelerate towards the ground faster, but this difference is negligible for most common scenarios. However, the size and shape of a ball can affect its air resistance, which can slightly alter its trajectory and bounce height.